Sign in to follow this  

Herniated disc

So last Saturday was my first time on a bike in 8 years (used to race AMA District 37 Desert and GP, made it to Expert class before stopping). Took a few laps around the track nice and easy, had a little break, then went back out to open it up a bit. Second lap of good hard riding, hit a deep whoop just wrong, kicked the rear out just enough to set me up for failure going into a high banked turn, launched off the bank into another hill, toppled over the bars and landed on my back pretty hard (was in high 3rd when I hit the whoop). I was pretty dazed for the first 30 seconds or so, lots of tingling in my arms, then shook it off. No broken bones, no concussion. 

Then I woke up the next day, super stiff neck, and weird nerve pain in both arms (not strong, just uncomfortable. feels like a sunburn on the front of both shoulders). I'm positive it's a "slipped" disc, as I can feel c5 slightly out of line from c6, and traction relieves the pain for a short period. Got my first appointment with the chiropractor tomorrow. 

Anybody here had a similar issue before? How long did it take you to recover and were you fine with just physio and chiropractic? I'm really bummed that this happened my first time back out! I guess you do "forget how to ride a bike"  :rolleyes:

went to the Chiro and was fine in a week ,,Same Pain only felt like I broke both shoulders, amazing whats in the neck!! Now I wear a Leatt brace!!!

Edited by JimCamp
  • Like 1

went to the Chiro and was fine in a week ,,Same Pain only felt like I broke both shoulders, amazing whats in the neck!! Now I wear a Leatt brace!!!

That's encouraging, thanks! I know not everyone's case/recovery is the same but it's good to hear nonetheless. I was always on the fence about neck braces whilst riding, pretty sure I fell off that fence now  :facepalm:

The burning pain and tingling is familiar.  I get that constantly in my arms, especially right shoulder.  Doc says its stenosis in my neck.  Sounds like you got a "stinger"  but you should probably get an MRI or PET scan to make sure.  My necks too screwed up to go to a Chiropractor anymore.  You may be able to get some relief that way, but he may not want to adjust you if you could have a break, cause it could cause more damage.  Neck/back injuries are an excellent argument for second opinions.  My brother broke his neck racing MX and the Dr's said he was fine.  After a week of pain they took XRays and found his neck was almost completely fractured.  He was lucky and fully recovered after surgery.  Good luck.

Going the chiropractic route is an excellent choice for this situation.  Don't be discouraged if you don't get the instant results, nerve pain can last a while unfortunately, but follow through with the treatment plan recommended by the chiro and you should be just fine.

• Like 1

Saw the chiropractor yesterday, he says he would be very surprised if it were a herniated disc, he thinks I've just done a very good job of tweaking my neck and pinching a nerve. Had an adjustment which really helped with range of motion, and he thinks the shoulders and arms are either pulled muscles or tendonitis, as they're more of a burning now than tingling. I'd like to think he's right, so we'll see. Thanks for the advice/opinions!  :thumbsup:

In my experience the burning is a good sign of the nerve having more activity, genrally when the pressure is released, so it looks like progress at this point!

In my experience the burning is a good sign of the nerve having more activity, genrally when the pressure is released, so it looks like progress at this point!

A few days in now, nerve pain is mostly gone, and I am now feeling a bit of muscle pain underneath it, so I think he was right. Good and bad I guess, but better than I suspected. Think I'll take advantage of the couple weeks out to send in my forks as they're sorely overdue for a rebuild  :thumbsup: make the best out of a bad situation, right?  :rolleyes: