Colorado red and white near vail

I heard a rumor that red and white will be reopening to ohv's. can anyone confirm this as of yet? I haven't been able to find this years mvum's as of yet

Call the Ranger's office up there.  The MVUM was in error last I looked and they confirmed that to me.  This was about two years ago.

It showed Red and White as County Rd or something, but it was open to OHV.   Fun little area.

I've always found the NFS rangers to be very helpful when calling them directly.

I would imagine that it's snowed in for a while.  Has anyone been up there recently?

There will be sections of dirt road reopened to OHV users, like muddy pass rd for example. All of the singletrack is still "closed". Rocky Mountain Sport Riders club is meeting with Dave Neely (local district ranger) tomorrow at the castle peak grill in Avon at 6pm to discuss. If the forest service can prove the roads that are reopened are being used to access closed trails (every singletrack in that area) they will close it again. Contact RMSR if you have any questions regarding any trail status in eagle county or if you want to help fight for the right to ride.

rckymtnhondax thanks for the info. I am hopeful that they will reopen the single track and the rest of the areas trails. do you know if this meeting is open to the public? or do I need to be part of the club?

any word on what transpired at this meeting?

Same old shtick from the rangers. They are opening the roads back up, muddy pass, June creek, piney, etc. The singletrack on red and white mtn has never been legal and most likely never will. They want us to take the Colorado trail crew out to GPS all of the trails. In my opinion they will just use that information to try and close the trails more officially, but some think it's the first step to getting them open. We will see.

Also all of the meetings we have with forest service or any other governing body are open to the public. If you get on the RMSR email list they keep a pretty good schedule of all meetings related to our access to OUR land.

Yeah, agree 110%. If you are interested in whats going on, get involved and attend meetings. G

Same old shtick from the rangers. They are opening the roads back up, muddy pass, June creek, piney, etc. The singletrack on red and white mtn has never been legal and most likely never will. They want us to take the Colorado trail crew out to GPS all of the trails. In my opinion they will just use that information to try and close the trails more officially, but some think it's the first step to getting them open. We will see.

I agree with your opinion of what they want the GPS listing for. Its been done elsewhere!

Edited by dmac1

Figured it'd be open to OHV's in the summer once the snow's gone, it's a fairly popular snowmobiling area for the locals in the winter.  Doesn't get as much traffic as Vail pass does. 

it's sad that they would ask for help to gps just to use the info to further it's closure. but it doesn't surprise me. I really wish the forest service would see the benefit to officially opening the single track, I think it would help with the quiet recreation push that caused them to close red and white in the first place. it would give bikes somewhere else to go where they wouldn't be disturbing the car campers on the two tracks in the area

just to save someone a trip, the road in to red and white and muddy is closed indefinitely due to road damage on the vail end of things, the f.s. sign says it will reopen as soon as they fix the damage

just to save someone a trip, the road in to red and white and muddy is closed indefinitely due to road damage on the vail end of things, the f.s. sign says it will reopen as soon as they fix the damage

read- "never, we don't have the resources".

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w

read- "never, we don't have the resources".

I would agree with this, however in this particular case there is a business at the end of the road that operates as guest cabins and such in the summer months. I imagine the f.s. will be pressured into repairs by the business owner. I think this will be the only forest service road that will see any type of repair in the white river

Sorry to Necro an old thread, is there any updates on this area, and I assume the Single Track is still illegal? 

I recently saw a youtube video of the single track and it looked like a blast, if legal. 

Sorry to Necro an old thread, is there any updates on this area, and I assume the Single Track is still illegal? 

I recently saw a youtube video of the single track and it looked like a blast, if legal. 

I dunno about Red White, BUT, I do know about Commando Run! You said you rode mtn bikes too.

Short version....it starts at Vail Pass and goes up.  ALOT!  The view from the top is awesome! Then it goes down down down down down down down....all the way to Minturn.  The best part is through Vail's back bowls, which were literally carpeted in wildflowers when we did it. Lower, there is some pretty steep sidehill and a pretty technical section through some big rocks. If you do it, you won't forget it!

One hitch...leave a shuttle vehicle at Minturn or ya gotta ride back up along I-70 to Vail Pass. Another possible hitch...its likely too early in the season to do it.

Ok...back to moto talk...sorry about the diversion.

Edited by dmac1

"Stay the Trail" still list Red and White so I assume its open... we are going in 4 weeks and plan on riding it a couple time from Vail to Walcott...

"Stay the Trail" still list Red and White so I assume its open... we are going in 4 weeks and plan on riding it a couple time from Vail to Walcott...

The jeep roads are open- but being on trails that are not on the current MVUM is a no-no.