Sign in to follow this  

Are either of these bikes reliable/priced correct?

So my main bike is a 13 drz 400 which is a pig and unable to do any real trail riding or hill climbing let alone technical stuff! So I was considering getting a trials bike since I mainly stand anyways while riding single track! In my LOCAL area there is one bike http://chambana.craigslist.org/mcy/4432213426.html 03 GG 300 txt Pro

And one is a little ways north 03 Sherco 2.9 http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/4457274973.html

Would either of these bikes be good for a beginner trials rider wanting to do technical goat trails and steep hill climbs or should I go with a KDX or enduro bike?

Honestly, it depends on how technical the trails are and how you want to ride them. My first thought is I'd rather ride in the carpark than trail ride my trials bikes but plenty of people do and like it for some reason.

• Like 1

I'd lean toward the Gasgas from what I've seen and heard. I had an 02 280 pro and now an 07. Hill climbing is a blast. Especially if you have some buddies to challenge you. Tight singletrack is fun too.

The price on the ggas seems high. I just bought a cherry 07 for 3400.

I bought a KDX for $1200 and a MX bike for $900 that I use for technical riding. That's $900 less that what that Gas Gas is selling for. I also have a 2007 Gas Gas trials bike that's worth about $2500 so that 03 is overpriced.

Trials bikes are terrible on trails and I prefer riding my enduro and MX bikes seen on this video.

Trials bikes are more expensive to own, especially Gas Gas because they break easily and parts are expensive. There are always cheap used parts for the KDX on ebay.

• Like 1

Well there is a  04 gas gas ec200 a town over that looks nice from the pcitures and they are asking 1500 obo. They are suppose to good bikes as well. Anyways sounds like i should probably just stick with a kdx or some kind of mx bike! Thanks for the info!

I very much disagree with the 'too expensive' comment above. My trials bikes (owned both Sherco and GG) have not needed expensive maintenance ever.  I would even say that my trials bike is the cheapest bike to own, parts are easy to get (I live near a dealer, but you can order parts shipped to your door).

They are tough enough when I crash. I have only had to replace a throttle tube and a shift lever and I crash at least once a ride (I ride every almost weekend, year-round).

Trials bikes are also the most fun I have ever had on a motorbike.  If you have quad trails to blast then a trials bike would suck... you need to ride really tight single-track and REALLY difficult hill climbs to have fun... trials bikes are mountain goats that go up anything and take you anywhere (with or without a trail).  I am not an expert or even close but the magic of trials bikes enable me to ride up and over things I couldn't walk up... vertical rock face 8 ft tall? No problem!

The sherco 290 is a very tough/reliable trials bike.   I had an '04 sherco 290 as my first trials bike... it was great.  The 290 2-stroke engine has a ton of power for a beginner but if you have decent throttle control from riding other bikes (and you are careful with your right hand) they are great.

Edited by Bender-250xl
  • Like 2