Sign in to follow this  

93 xr650l smoking on start up and decel

I have recently gotten a 93 xr650l, seems tight, and sat for a while, white bros e series pipe and header and K and n air filter and other than that seems all stock.... I noticed it smoking on cold start ups which I figured was jus valve seals, but now I noticed its smoking on deceleration after high rpm, but no smoke when accelerating,?, could this still just be valve seals or would I have further problems? Valve terrian seems quiet and normal, I've definitely heard a lot worse.... Thanks for any input

Edited by southjerseyhonda

Valve seals can show their age on decel too.......it`s when you have high rpm ..high vacuum ..

Do the valve seals first.......

B

Ok thanks, prob will do top end at the same time, but tryin to squeeze the summer out of it without causing more problems

You should be fine, mine was doing the same thing until it dropped a valve seat.  When you do the top end, have the seats "pinged" (I don't know the proper term) by whomever services the head, this will help prevent a dropped seat.  All told, it should run you no more than $500...

You should be fine, mine was doing the same thing until it dropped a valve seat.  When you do the top end, have the seats "pinged" (I don't know the proper term) by whomever services the head, this will help prevent a dropped seat.  All told, it should run you no more than $500...

not meaning to be mr terminology but i think the term is peened. its similar to staking. that the area around the seat is mechanically struck radially  to tighten up the fit of the hard seat in the softer aluminum.

• Like 1

not meaning to be mr terminology but i think the term is peened. its similar to staking. that the area around the seat is mechanically struck radially  to tighten up the fit of the hard seat in the softer aluminum.

Thanks, I could not think of the proper term to save my life...