Sign in to follow this  

New member: YZ250f advice

Hello TT! Wanted to introduce myself and ask for some advice. I jumped back on the iron pony yesterday with my purchase of a 2002 yz250f. Previously owned a cbr600 and before that a cr250... This is my first Yamaha, as well as my first 4-stroke. Bought the bike late yesterday so I haven't had the chance to check the minors or take it out. The initial ride was great. Pulls good, shifts good, and seemed to be well maintained. Very clean for a 12 year old bike! Has renthal handle bars, stage 2 hot cams and the rest is stock.. So any and all comments and suggestions regarding riding, maintenance, and modifications would be greatly appreciated!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400505672.782694.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400505689.826352.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400505701.972627.jpg

Maintenance, change oil religiously with new oil filter each time (cheap in bulk). Make sure you drain crankcase oil bolt and tranny bolt. If you only drain one it will not drain the other. Check your rear linkage bushing and bearings and races.... I'm changing all of mine right now as mine is an 07 and they're all pretty dry. So take the entire swing arm off and check bushings and bearings. Next check spark plug. If burned or old replace with OEM NGK plug. Gap accordingly. Check all chain guides from top roller, swing arm slider, guide that's attached to rear of swing arm, and bottom roller. Worn guides will wear the master link clip and it'll pop off while riding and there goes your chain and your day. Check sprocket wear and chain stretch. If chain is stretched too much replace, if sprocket teeth are worn sharp like shark teeth, replace. Take rear and front tires off and check grease on your axles. Deep clean and re-grease with white lithium grease. Make sure to properly torque all bolts accordingly as improper torque will ruin a day down the road. And there's more that you should check on maintenance but that's where to start :)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400520249.404437.jpg

{Only The Best}

Hey thanks for the replay! Your detailed maintenance list will definitely help as I get back in the swing on things. I was younger when I use to ride/race so my cousin (who is a more experienced mechanic lol) use to do most of my maintenance. For the most part I'll be riding trail and practice tracks until I start lining up again.. Nice looking 07 you have, curious to know what all you have in/on it?? Like I said mine has the hot cams and I've heard that's one of the best mods for 4t's. Next I'm thinking suspension, exhaust, and of course a graphics kit. Not a fan of the plain jane blue haha

Only other majors are: air filter maintenance and valve clearance checks.

You want to make sure you have a good dual element filter on it and that it's sealed on the airbox when you install it.  Grease the lip so it will seal.

Take a look at instructions on checking valve clearances and youtube, there's a lot out there.  Only tools you need are an allen wrench and tapered feeler gauge to take measurement.  Record your measurements so after time, you can recheck and compare note to see if its changes.  Changes in lash indicate valve wear and replacement soon.

Take some time to adjust the bike to fit you. 

Adjust bar and lever angle, and rear brake lever and shifter height.  I like to change the spring on the brake to a stiffer one because it gives better feel thru heavy boots.

I also change the seat cushion to Guts Racing tall soft, like the pillow top grips.

Lube all cables, grease all threads and bearings.

Go out and enjoy your new ride!

Awesome input ronbuell, and I actually just ordered some pillow top grips earlier today lol

Also I could use a rear tire soon. Thinking of going with a Dunlop mx71. Mostly ride hard dirt and grass but some soft tracks, and occasionally sand and rock... Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure 110/90/19 is the factory size. I bought it with a 100/90/19 and leaning toward staying at this size... Suggestions of tires and sizes??

We use the MX51 rear, and for a front we run Michelin Starcross.  You need to talk with local guys and find out what they run and where.

We have mud, sand, rocks, hardpack, and slick clay.  A fresh tire is always good.  I've never run the MX71, give me a ride report if you think about it.  The MX51 is a very light weight carcus, so it doesn't run flat very well, but it will stand up to 12 psi well and still flex and give grip.  As for width, I like mine to be able to spin sometimes, so I go with a narrower tire.  But that's a matter of preference for your terrain.  Never use a larger tire on front as you want it to stay light weight.

You want the absolute very best front tire you can afford.  I say that because I'm an old guy and I do not like to fall.... it hurts.

All of your balance is on the front.  The back can do what it wants, but if the front goes away on you, you're going down big time.

And if you question that, I have an X-ray with 9 broken ribs to sell you.  But thats another story.  Enjoy

• Like 1

I have an '02 also. I use it for trail riding in the bush.

I run mx32 mid soft. Front and rear. Rear tyre is a 100/90/19 I like the feel of them. I had Bridgestone Geomax, and just didn't have the same feedback. Each to their own I guess.

I change the oil roughly every 5-6 hrs, filter usually every 2nd oil change, air filter cleaned every ride usually, and spark changed regularly.

I had a starting issue recently when hot.

After changing the spark plug boot, and using 95 octane fuel instead of 91, I've fixed the issue.