Sign in to follow this  

CRF 450 XRL Supermoto

Hi. Will shortly be picking up my brand new 2014 CRF 450 XRL. I want to put supermoto wheels on it

Just wondfering a few things:

1. Where can I find a set of ready made excel/talon wheels (black rims, silver spokes,red nipples and red hub) and looking for ones that will fit right on. What size will they be?

2. Where can I find a front brake bracket and wavey disc for the front, supermoto size, ie 320mm.

3. Will the original rear brake disc be ok to use?

4. What size chain and sprockets will i need. I know you can choose gearing but whats best gearing all round?

Preferably shops in the UK for these parts.

Thanks.

Seems in the UK they have added the RL on the end saying it is the Road Legal model? Not sure why they would do this, Just causes confusion, OH well those in the UK wont be able to buy CRF450XRL parts from the USA cause they only have the CRF450X, Pretty sad LOL

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=CRF+450+XRL&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta&channel=rcs&gfe_rd=cr&ei=87l6U4v7GaWN8QfpgoCwCw#channel=rcs&q=CRF450XRL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=off

Better off to just call your CRF450XRL a CRF450X in here especially, Would be best if they did not add the RL in the UK too but it looks to be too late

Plenty of threads in here mentioning supermoto setups
http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

1. Talon is a UK company so should it not be hard to find wheels over there, Ebay, Google etc
((Do not buy a 5" rear wheel )) Even if Johnny Jim the ex pro world champion best ever racer in the world tells you to cause they are better & they look fatter

2. A supermoto front disc does not have to be 320mm, I am running Tusk stainless rotors with a 270mm front, This way it works with both on & off road wheels
Oversized discs usually come with the bracket, EBC discs are expensive & rust but they work well mostly, I could not find matching front & rear EBC rotors too?

3. Yep!

4. 520 VT2 DID narrow X-ring chain, Dont run anything else, No such thing as best gearing? What sort of riding do you do? I run 14 & 44 rear with supermoto wheels, Plenty enough top speed without sacrificing down low pickup

I bought my Talon rear sprocket from VSMX, Excellent price & top service> http://www.vsmx.co.uk/sprockets-272-c.asp

Also bought stuff from MD Racing Products, UFO plastics etc, Also great service> http://www.mdracingproducts.co.uk/

Edited by CRF450XINOZ

I mainly just ride about town and country roads, i hardly ever go on A roads or motorways. Would the 14/44 gearing be ideal for this type of riding? Does the bike come with a 14 front as standard, cant recall until i collect the bike?

How many links would i need on the did chain you described?

Will a 270mm disc still allow for the original disc/fork guard?

Any places apart from talon themselves to buy the wheels?

Edited by CRFjohnnie

A 45 or 46 rear sprocket may be enough if you dont need as much top speed? What is the average speed you would be doing? the 14/44 setup is great for open highways where you may want to cruise around 110-120k's or more even but not too tall that it loses too much power down low

They have a 13 tooth front sprocket standard, A 14 tooth front sprocket is about $20

I did not count my links when I cut my chain, Only takes maybe 10 minutes to cut a chain & re-fit but make sure you double check you have the correct length on the bike before you cut, Lots of people end up cutting chains short

no the 270mm disc will not fit under the stock disc cover, No need for it really on a supermoto bike anyway, Undo the 2 bolts & put it in the shed

Try the 2 places I linked (VSMX & MD Racing) for wheel prices, Or ebay, You can use CRF450R supermoto wheels also but as mentioned you will only need a 4.25" rear wheel

Some reading in here>
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1056925-2009-crf450x-in-oz/

Edited by CRF450XINOZ

I'll never understand the supermoto thing. I guess if I tried it I'd like it but a 450?

Bolin I can't even explain how much fun these bikes are in supermoto form. The more twisty the road is the more fun they are.

• Like 1

You certainly can but it would be a major wheelie king, 1st gear & possibly even 2nd gear would be pretty well useless, Even with dirt wheels & the 13/51 sprocket setup first gear was nearly pointless, Top speed would be just above jogging pace maybe a bit faster but you get the point

Its really not that hard to get another chain (DID VT2), A 14 tooth front sprocket which is what I run with dirt wheels anyway, & a 45 or so rear sprocket, Cut the chain to suit the supermoto sprocket then that will be your supermoto chain & rear sprocket, Pretty simple to change really, Keep your dirt (sized) rear sprocket & chain for the dirt wheels

I'll never understand the supermoto thing. I guess if I tried it I'd like it but a 450?

What do you mean by "but a 450"?

I dont race but gee it is a lot of fun flying round on the road, Basically most supermoto bikes will beat the bigger sport bikes in the twisty stuff up to 60mph, The cornering & braking of a supermoto bike is something you have to experience

• Like 3

Basically most supermoto bikes will beat the bigger sport bikes in the twisty stuff up to 60mph, The cornering & braking of a supermoto bike is something you have to experience

I remember taking my Aprilia SXV550 around Willow Springs (Streets) and it was an unfair advantage. Turned out the only guy on a sport bike giving me trouble was the track points leader. Seriously, it was like taking candy from a baby.

RZ Rob