Sign in to follow this  

2002 cr250 pouring fuel out of the header?

Hey guys, bought a bike for the girlfriend, it runs great except the header is bent and doesnt seal around the cylinder very well. so it shoots a little smoke out of the exhaust/cylinder connection, not a huge deal.

anyways, she recently fouled her plug (I think) as the bike wont start anymore... BUT, man does it ever pour fuel out of the cylinder/exhaust connection.  is this normal??  after about 1 minute, a puddle under the bike 2 feet in diameter had formed.... I mean even at WOT I cant see that much gas being consumed. it was a constant stream of fuel leaking from her header. how?? why???    maybe your guys does it too, maybe they all do, and we just dont notice because yours doesnt leak?? 

she has a bad habit of giving it full throttle on every kick, and after about 20 of those types of failed kicks, I seen her and stopped her.

gave the bike a rest for half hour, I gave it a few good kicks, and then fuel continued to pour out of the header again. the throttle feels fine and nothing in the carb feels like its sticking.

is it normal to have lots of fuel in the header when flooded or not running well, and we just dont notice it as its uphill and a sealed exhaust and probably gets burnt pretty quick due to the exhaust gasses?

well try a new spark plug and a new header and go from there. but in the meantime.... any advice or suggestions?

thanks! 

I think you could have a worn out float needle in your carb. Even when the floats are pushed up by gas, it still won't seal and will let gas continue flowing into the carb. However, I would expect that to come out the vent hoses on the carb. Are you sure it's not dripping from someplace else on the motor? For there to be enough gas in the cylinder to form a big puddle below the bike how you described I would think it's filling the crank area and welling up through the ports, but that just doesn't make sense. It seems like the gas had to gripping from someplace else if it's as much as you described.

Save the two stroke.

Check the float in the carb. Sounds like its leaking really bad if you have a puddle of gas under the bike. But it should come out the overflow on the float bowl instead of making it all the way to the exhaust port. Do you have a picture of it?

And that leak at the header to cylinder junction that you think is not a big deal IS A VERY BIG DEAL. You may have already done engine damage running it that way. That "leak" works both ways.. It is allowing pre-mixed fuel out, and unfiltered & unmetered air, back into the cylinder.

Buy a new header, or repair your existing one BEFORE you try and run the engine any more... Unless it's already too late and the damage is done. I'm hoping that's not the case.

As others have mentioned, you probably also have a sticking float needle in the carb. It's not a hard repair but fix BOTH issues before you try and run the bike anymore.

• Like 1

do you guys got any links on how to repair the float needle?

a new header is one the way, thanks a lot for the quick replies, you guys are awesome!

how do I check/repair the float needle?

Pull the carb from the bike. Better to just replace the parts with new ones. There are videos on YouTube most likely on how to do it. Pretty easy job. Word of advice. Remove the phillips head screw before removing the float bowl drain plug. Less likely to strip the head of the screw. And dont make it gorilla tight when you reinstall it.

• Like 1

I think everyone missed something here....... Your girlfriend rides a CR250?

D mack, up to this point his girlfriend has been riding a poor performing Cr250.. Once the OP gets the problems fixed she may realize what a handful that bike can be.... If she keeps riding it, I applaud her.

haha yeah its a bit much of a bike for her, but I dont think shes even hit the powerband yet.  I am thinking a rekluse auto clutch might be a must for her. 

OP, if you still have the original carb (TMX), you will find that she needs to run the bike pretty hard to keep from fouling plugs. That carb is jetting notoriously rich from the factory and you will need to push the bike hard to keep from fouling the plugs. If your girlfriend intends to chug the bike along and not run it in the power-band you should be looking at re-jetting the bike (if it has not already been done) to keep it from fouling the plug.. OR, switch to the PWK carb, and jet it properly. You will love the PWK. Many posts about doing that swap. In my mind, it is a MUST.

awesome information, thanks a ton I will keep that in the back of my mind.