08 YZ250f Street legal sumo build :D

Hey guys I'm new to supermoto, but been around bikes for a long time. Used to race sx and mx but now have a wife and kid. I got a job at the electric cooperative in town as a 1000 hour lineman, sure beets being on the road for a week a time contracting!

Anyway, In mn you can now register your Dirtbike through the dnr and get a street legal plate for it! Doing a pitster pro and my 250. I know a 250 is not the ideal bike to sumo but it's what I have now. it will have to do until it can afford to get a wr450.

So far this is what I'm starting with.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400511300.353972.jpg

I know this is very detailed list but it's what I already have saved in my notes.

08 Yamaha YZ250F

Already installed at purchase:

Boyesen QS3

Moose mixture screw

No-Toil power flo kit

Fork bleeders

Renthal chain and sprockets

Blue odi grips

Previously purchased:

Pro taper contour black bars

My $ input:

1800 08 Yamaha YZ250F

285 pro curcuit t4-gp exhaust

240 stage 2 hot cams

139.99 red bull graphics

115 aluminum fork compression valves

67.99 Guts Tall Soft Seat Foam

64.75 pro taper chain

50.99 artrax t3 tire

47.85 carb jets needle seal

40 attack seat cover

40 Troy lee monster graphics

38.99 rad shrouds

37 motion pro t3 clutch cable

29.95 rim graphics

12.06 blue rad hose kit

20.99 rear fender

20 10-13 style front fender

19.99 pro circuit clutch lever

18 moose carb rebuild kit

17.88 stainless oil filter

15 front number plate

13.95 Ada billet hot start nut

11.85 air filter

9.99 odi grips

8 hr meter

Total: $2748.63

I just purchased the warp 9 wheel/sprocket/rotor w/adapter bracket off eBay for 879

I ordered tubes from denniskirk.com for 45 w/ shipping.

I got a new Bridgestone battlax 140/70-17 from my cousin for helping build his garage. He had it as spare from his wrx.

Bought a used battlax 120/70-17 front off eBay for 60 $ to Match. I do not know if these sizes are any good, but I figured since it was on a wr250x might be a decent start.

I got a 44 rear sprocket and once I ride it and test speed I may need to go up m front size to 14 or 15.

Edited by Eric Landmark

Id like to keep the gearing so it's still fun mess around with doin wheelies and such but yet cruise at 55 not at 8000 rpm so I can save some $ and ride it to work. As far as lighting goes, I'm planning on wiring up a kit that will run on a small 12v battery enough to use my turn signals and lights to get home and back. After all this is a somewhat temporary setup until I can afford a wr (hopefully by end of summer or next spring). And I will typically be riding in daylight all the time. This is a wiring diagram I am going to use. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400520908.201934.jpg without the stator rectifier of course..

Any helpful input or comments is greatly appreciated and welcome. I can't wait to get this thing on the road!

Sweet project man, I'd say just get the lighting stator. it'll be less of a hassle. another option for you would be to look for is used 04 wr or something like that for cheap.

There are companies that make an add on DS kit that is 'total loss' off a battery.  Headlight choice will be cruicial as the aH ratings on small batteries that you can stuff in your airbox isnt much.  You could try   http://www.procycle.us/dskits/lightcoils.htm 

I dont think there is anything wrong with using a 250.  On most tracks they are quicker cause of the turn in if you can keep your speed up.  On the street it should have enough grunt so you can lug it around.

Pay attention to cooling.  If you get a stator think about a small fan on the radiator.

Oil capacity is a big thing.  MX bikes typically have low oil volume.  I remember seeing oil tanks to add on to CRF450Rs.  I dont know off hand what the 08 runs but i know you run a separate oil tank under the gas tank on the frame.  Maybe a larger one is available to increase the oil capacity.  Much easier anyways than the oil-in frame pre 07 ones.

Well I am definitely going to be looking for a wr450 or maybe even a cheap 400 to clean up. I really want to keep this bike as much of a dirtbike as possible. I only want to do the lights to be legal... thats why I just want to put in a small cheap battery. and I have not been able to find a lighting coil either. I feel like I have looked everywhere and there isnt one that will fit a 08 yz250f. 

as far as cooling goes, I was curious as well. I live in rural minnesota, driving forth and back to work in a town of 5500 people. I will never have to worry about traffic or anything like that. So I shouldnt have any cooling issues. I am probably going to be changing the coolant to engine ice.. see how well that stuff works. 

As for Oil, I havent installed my stage 2 hotcams yet and they call for regular not synthetic for break in. once they are installed and broken in I am going to run 10 40 amsoil synthetic. I really wish I could afford to buy a wr now and have one dedicated sumo bike and one dedicated mx bike. But gotta compromise! sumo for the week and dirt on the weekend. we will see how the pitster holds up on the road. Might get a piranha 140engine from tbolt for 370 and gear that up for the highway. Ill make sure I add pics to the thread if I do ? 

Wow. This is pretty cool. You are allowed to do this where you live?

Yeah you have to have your bike registered through the dnr, then pay a 10 license fee to get it plated for on road use and sign off that you have brought the bike up to dot standards for minnesota and you are good. thats what I have read, havent tried yet. I will be stopping into my dmv as soon as my hours at work change so I can get started.

Well I am definitely going to be looking for a wr450 or maybe even a cheap 400 to clean up. I really want to keep this bike as much of a dirtbike as possible. I only want to do the lights to be legal... thats why I just want to put in a small cheap battery. and I have not been able to find a lighting coil either. I feel like I have looked everywhere and there isnt one that will fit a 08 yz250f. 

as far as cooling goes, I was curious as well. I live in rural minnesota, driving forth and back to work in a town of 5500 people. I will never have to worry about traffic or anything like that. So I shouldnt have any cooling issues. I am probably going to be changing the coolant to engine ice.. see how well that stuff works. 

As for Oil, I havent installed my stage 2 hotcams yet and they call for regular not synthetic for break in. once they are installed and broken in I am going to run 10 40 amsoil synthetic. I really wish I could afford to buy a wr now and have one dedicated sumo bike and one dedicated mx bike. But gotta compromise! sumo for the week and dirt on the weekend. we will see how the pitster holds up on the road. Might get a piranha 140engine from tbolt for 370 and gear that up for the highway. Ill make sure I add pics to the thread if I do ?

Depending on what kind of off road you are doing the bikes handle surprisingly well off road with Sm tires.  I actually thought my DRZ was better, or felt more stable, on SM tires than DOT knobbies off road.  But the traction and braking isn't there.  SM front brake is way too touchy off road.  Avon Distanzia on 17s is a good compromise if you are just trail riding.  I have seen plenty of guys MX with SM setups BUT unless you have an SM specific exhaust your tire beats up your muffler.  You can see the scuff marks on mine.

DSC_0117_zpsebcab068.jpg

I hear you though.  I looked long and hard to find 2 of the same bikes, one for mx and one for SM to keep the spares, parts and special tools to a minimum and so i wasn't jumping back and forth between bikes that felt totally different.

Aww man yeah that tire rub is gonna suck :( I have a pro circuit that is round, I may just have to try spacing it out or throw the stock muffler on while sumoing :/

on my rmz it had a carbon muffler and the previous owner tried to space it out with washers.  All that happened is it twisted the subframe.  Unless you mod the pipe it will still want to pull in. 

Id love to do something like this.

IMG_8275.jpg

just not willing to come off the cash for it:)

• Like 2

My home burned down on Memorial Day, a total loss. It may be some time before I am able to continue this project. I'll keep it posted.

sorry to hear that man. Take your time with it. Good luck and get well soon. God bless