Sign in to follow this  

bike was running good until i jetted it, help please

my bike was running great all winter i had a 45 pilot a blue needle on the 3rd and a 175, i got the kit from JD jetting,  i wanted to change my jet so all i did was put the red marked needle in, ( i used the red needle last year and and it ran fine all summer) i got my bike to the pit and cleaned it out then started doing some climbs and my bike had this low end bog i kept noticing. if i had the bike barred it would run good but blipping the throttle in the low end of the gear it was boggin. so i went home and decided to change my jets back to stock which i think is a 50 pilot , silver needle on the 3rd and a 178? so i put that in my bike because my buddys got a 2014 and his is running good on stock so i figured mine would too. i went for a ride down a old rail bed and started ripping and noticed no change still a bogg. i need help ?

Did you clean the air filter? Is it fresh gas? You put a 50 pilot in there, and that will not help...that's vary rich. Your 45 pilot may have been clogged, so swapping it with a much bigger pilot won't help.

air filters new UNI and im running fresh super mixed 40 to 1

you know when your riding slow and not in the powerband and then blip the gas the bike should pull hard all most instantly. mines not doin that any more, seems like im only running good and pulling hard when im barring it in the powereband. ive fouled 2 plugs on my last ride im getting frustrated im not sure how to fix it? any other ideas? thanks

well you know what i mean like point and shot type of power, and my bike lost that. That was the main reason i bought a 2 stroke. what clip postions are you guys running? like i live in Ontario caNADA, you you guys give me your jetting specs?

You said it was running fine before you made changes. Id like to suggest that you go back to the original settings you had. Including going back to the blue needle. Then see what happens.

• Like 3

bogging with the larger 50 pilot?i think you have an air leak leaning you out.

jd red 3  45/175 should not bog

Edited by cj_wai

Actually, when you're not on the pipe and hit the throttle, it'll bog a bit and then take off. That's what clutching is for.

Well, not in my experience. Even with a stock YZ250 motor, any bog or slight hesitation to any throttle use/abuse is not acceptable.  Fix the jetting, squish clearance, compression, etc. Clutch is to control the power to the real wheel.

You said it was running fine before you made changes. Id like to suggest that you go back to the original settings you had. Including going back to the blue needle. Then see what happens.

Exactly.  Back to what once worked fine. But with a new pilot jet, plug and fresh air filter.

Kuckleup, Then if any problem, repack the silencer, check for air leaks, test the coil, etc. When it works great and you're riding mostly at the same altitude, then for seasonal changes you could try adjusting the air screw, and maybe one size change on the main jet.

Edited by numroe

Not sure why no one has mentioned it as probably the most obvious cause.

Check your reeds they maybe chipped or cracked.

I would do this before anything else.

Edited by qwert321