Sign in to follow this  

battery dies mid ride on 2011 EXC-f 250...help!?

hey guys i had something interesting happen to me. i was out riding last friday and me and my buddies stopped for a break and when i went back to start my bike using the starter it wouldn't start. just made a buzzing noise as if there wasn't enough electricity to power the starter. so i used the kick starter which was fine for the rest of the day. as far as i understand batteries get charged while the engine is one so i find it weird that the batter would die in the middle of the ride...can anyone enlighten me? thanks.

I would check that the stator is putting out the proper voltage to charge the battery. A common problem however is poor connection to the battery terminals due to corrosion; so make sure they are clean and have a low impedance to the stator. Also, if the battery has been deep cycled too many times, it may be bad. You can do a load test on the battery, or bring it into an auto parts store and they usually do it for free.

Start the bike and put a volt meter on the battery, should be 14 volts or so. If your getting good voltage, take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Buy a new quality battery and charge it overnight, keep a battery tender on it when installed. Should last years that way.

do you have a fan on the bike?

many KTM models have stators that cannot keep up with the fan at low RPM levels. so, on hot days of tight single track riding where the fan is running and you are at low RPMs all day long, the battery can drain (as it is not only not being recharged by the stator at low RPMs, but it also is being drained by the fan).

happens to me from time to time (my fan also stays on after i shut the bike off until the coolant temp drops, which makes it even worse).

there are some solutions like upgrading the stator, rewinding your existing stator and converting the whole thing to DC, etc.

personally, i find having the kick starter is enough of a "solution" that i haven't spent the time or money on rewinding my stator or upgrading it. also, when the trail allows, try to run at higher RPMs for awhile.

that is not to say "there is definitely nothing wrong with your bike"...there may well be. but, just because the battery is getting killed during a ride does not *necessarily* mean there is anything wrong with your bike.

Very stupid question. But just making sure. You said it was an exc. So was your light on. I have bumped my light with my wrist a few times and its turned on without me knowing.