2013 300 XCW starter problem

I just bought this bike used, and was told it needed a new battery. I put in the battery and I just get a clicking noise near the battery. Nothing at the starter. Is this a solenoid or switch that needs to be replaced.

Thanks......Dave

jump it with jumper cables from the starter going around the battery and wiring see what happens. My 250XC had a wire broken behind the front number plate. That said my 200XCW had to have a new starter motor

Kickstart it and ride it for about 10 minutes.  Then see if the electric start works.  Oftentimes they just need to get everything warmed up and loosened up.

No luck with that

Sounds like your new battery needs to be charged.

Battery is fully charged???

After more searching, sounds like this is common with KTMs......as mx_forever was saying.

Thanks, I will try jumping it at the starter

Dave

(REF: Starter bearings locked up?) ...

After more searching, sounds like this is common with KTMs......as mx_forever was saying. ...

Not sure if I would call it a "common problem", I've never had that problem on my '12 300XCw. I did install the higher power '13 & '14 starter last fall, sealed the magneto and added 40cc's of oil (didn't vent) and with a EVO 8 cell lithium battery it'll start stone cold on just the starter.

Like zig06, I fixed my '11 300 xc with a new higher powered starter motor and a higher capacity LiPO battery.  Not a cheap fix.  Some recommend the "wet mod" where the ignition side case vent is sealed up and you run oil in the thing.  Slavens has a video on it.

I just bought this bike used, and was told it needed a new battery. I put in the battery and I just get a clicking noise near the battery. Nothing at the starter. Is this a solenoid or switch that needs to be replaced.

Thanks......Dave

Sounds like the same starter problem that i had with my '12 300 XCW. Turned out the brushes were bad. I ended up purchasing a starter re-build kit from Ricks Motorsport Electrics for around $75.00. Problem solved.

• 4 years later...

Cheap Easy 2014 xcw starter fix,

I have  2014 xcw and had the common starter issue. In my case and several others that I've seen the root problem was soft, low quality bendix bushings. My bushings were almost totally gone especially the bendix bushing on the inside case. I cleaned and lubricated the flywheel gear,  starter motor and bendix gear per the slavens videos. I only had to replace the bushings and it works well now. I used after market solid brass busing from Tokyo. They are a much harder material that lets the gears to spin more freely.

The only problem I found is that these bushings are made in Australia and sold out of Japan. I didn't notice that when I placed the order. They cost close to $40 for all 4.

Tokyooffroad.com

Your starter relay is gone, its down beside the battery were the live from the battery is bolted to, it just clicks when u push button, i had same problem and just bought one on ebay for €15 and it was grand!! [emoji1303]IMG_2840.JPG

Your starter relay is gone, its down beside the battery were the live from the battery is bolted to, it just clicks when u push button, i had same problem and just bought one on ebay for €15 and it was grand!! [emoji1303]IMG_2840.thumb.JPG.62dca15930a2f1befd28a9a24e7929e4.JPG

To be sure its this, get a screwdriver and cross the 2 poles on the relay, if the starter turns its defo the relay!

16 hours ago, Erik2510 said:

Cheap Easy 2014 xcw starter fix,

I have  2014 xcw and had the common starter issue. In my case and several others that I've seen the root problem was soft, low quality bendix bushings. My bushings were almost totally gone especially the bendix bushing on the inside case. I cleaned and lubricated the flywheel gear,  starter motor and bendix gear per the slavens videos. I only had to replace the bushings and it works well now. I used after market solid brass busing from Tokyo. They are a much harder material that lets the gears to spin more freely.

The only problem I found is that these bushings are made in Australia and sold out of Japan. I didn't notice that when I placed the order. They cost close to $40 for all 4.

Tokyooffroad.com

Wow man. You’ve bumped 2 threads on the same subject that are 5 years old. Smh