Sign in to follow this  

Had a chance to compare two DRZ's, over one decade and mods apart..

Went riding this past weekend with a few buddies after getting my 2003 drz400s fitted with a FCR39MX and the MRD Z-Pro, K&N Filter & 3x3 mod.  One of my friends rides a bone stock 2014 drz400s.  we switched bikes for a few miles around town...  I was very impressed at how his bike makes power so quietly and smoothly, a very enjoyable ride.  I thought i'd give you guys my impression.

My bike has 3600 miles. his has just under 1000.  so both are super low mileage drz's.

the two bikes by comparison:

1.  2003 motor sounds and feels much harsher and less balanced than the 2014.  

2.  vibration and noise levels on the modded 2003 make the bike sound like it has more power than it does.  The modded 03 has what seems like 2x the discomfort with none of the added power.

3.  power wise the 2014 is easily on par low mid and high range.

4.  2014 being much easier to ride, effortless and powerful around town.

I dont mind a loud bike at all, but I feel like the net power gains are unevenly stacked compared to the loudness of the bike.  This all leads me to wonder how many improvements were made to the DRZ's drive train between 03 and 14?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I may be missing something.  Almost hoping someone here says, 'yeah, oh you forgot to switch on the amazing smooth power button, you'll find it here, flip that switch and you're golden.'

Also, this is not meant to be a knock in any way to the MRD or the FCR mod, they have made a definite increase in power and the way the throttle delivers it.  I also really love the build quality of the MRD pipe and the power delivery of the FCR.  But perhaps I should lower my expectations since they're still coupled to a stock motor?  when compared next to a 2014 bike there seems to be no real benefit, maybe its time to take the bike in and see what a performance tuner with a dyno can do?  I need a sanity check because I'm 60% sure i've done something wrong... 

• Like 1

AFAIK, the 2003 and 2014 are virtually identical except for graphics/colors.

As mentioned, the bikes are identical other than graphics and maybe a minor internal design change of the ACCT which wouldn't affect power or smoothness.  With equal weight riders, proper jetting, similar mileage, and good maintenance, a DRZ400S with the FCR39MX / MRD Z-PRO / 3x3 mod should easily pull away from a stock DRZ400S in a flat out drag race regardless of the year of either bike.  The 3x3 / FCR / MRD will have the bike making around 40hp where as the stock bike makes about 33-34.  I've ridden both a totally stock DRZ and my own (3x3, FCR39MX, E header, open pipe, E cams) and there is a world of difference.

Went riding this past weekend with a few buddies after getting my 2003 drz400s fitted with a FCR39MX and the MRD Z-Pro, K&N Filter & 3x3 mod.  One of my friends rides a bone stock 2014 drz400s.  we switched bikes for a few miles around town...  I was very impressed at how his bike makes power so quietly and smoothly, a very enjoyable ride.  I thought i'd give you guys my impression.

My bike has 3600 miles. his has just under 1000.  so both are super low mileage drz's.

the two bikes by comparison:

1.  2003 motor sounds and feels much harsher and less balanced than the 2014.  

2.  vibration and noise levels on the modded 2003 make the bike sound like it has more power than it does.  The modded 03 has what seems like 2x the discomfort with none of the added power.

3.  power wise the 2014 is easily on par low mid and high range.

4.  2014 being much easier to ride, effortless and powerful around town.

I dont mind a loud bike at all, but I feel like the net power gains are unevenly stacked compared to the loudness of the bike.  This all leads me to wonder how many improvements were made to the DRZ's drive train between 03 and 14?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I may be missing something.  Almost hoping someone here says, 'yeah, oh you forgot to switch on the amazing smooth power button, you'll find it here, flip that switch and you're golden.'

Also, this is not meant to be a knock in any way to the MRD or the FCR mod, they have made a definite increase in power and the way the throttle delivers it.  I also really love the build quality of the MRD pipe and the power delivery of the FCR.  But perhaps I should lower my expectations since they're still coupled to a stock motor?  when compared next to a 2014 bike there seems to be no real benefit, maybe its time to take the bike in and see what a performance tuner with a dyno can do?  I need a sanity check because I'm 60% sure i've done something wrong... 

sounds like the 2003 is tired. if they had the same compression numbers, the 2003's modifications should make it much snappier, and pull away from the stock bike. gearing makes a HUGE difference in feel and acceleration too ;-) 

• Like 2

As mentioned, the bikes are identical other than graphics and maybe a minor internal design change of the ACCT which wouldn't affect power or smoothness.  With equal weight riders, proper jetting, similar mileage, and good maintenance, a DRZ400S with the FCR39MX / MRD Z-PRO / 3x3 mod should easily pull away from a stock DRZ400S in a flat out drag race regardless of the year of either bike.  The 3x3 / FCR / MRD will have the bike making around 40hp where as the stock bike makes about 33-34.  I've ridden both a totally stock DRZ and my own (3x3, FCR39MX, E header, open pipe, E cams) and there is a world of difference.

I hear the stock carb with proper jetting, 3x3 mod and exhaust will beat one with the FCR set up in a drag race?? Guess they were saying to get the full potential of the FCR carb you would have to change cams and some other stuff...

I hear the stock carb with proper jetting, 3x3 mod and exhaust will beat one with the FCR set up in a drag race?? Guess they were saying to get the full potential of the FCR carb you would have to change cams and some other stuff...

Full potential- yes. But the FCR carb does make a big difference without the cams.

I think we're both running 15/45 or 15/44..

I'm running a fairly new set of Pirelli MT-73 trials tires compared to his stock '13 S tires, so vastly different tire weight, nobby vs smooth, and for pressure i'm running around 10psi.  I'm thinking this might be affecting the ridability of this bike around town.  

Still cant help but think I'm not getting all the power i should be.  

I hear the stock carb with proper jetting, 3x3 mod and exhaust will beat one with the FCR set up in a drag race??

Not likely.  The stock carb, even properly jetted w/ 3x3 mod, does not allow access to the power higher in the rev-range.  A jetted stock carb w/ 3x3 is still giving up 3-5 horsepower to the FCR w/ 3x3.

• Like 1

If a completely stock DRZ feels like it has the same amount of power as your modded DRZ, then there is probably something wrong with your bike. I would assume either bad compression or jetting.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 2

If a completely stock DRZ feels like it has the same amount of power as your modded DRZ, then there is probably something wrong with your bike. I would assume either bad compression or jetting.

I haven't done a compression test but i would be interested in finding out where i stand in that dept.

the fcr39 mx is jetted as such:

160 main

45 pilot

open MAJ (unthreaded port)

100 PAJ

JD Blue 4th clip

2 turns out on flex jet

MRD zpro, 3x3, cover and seat installed, K&N air filter, thin o-ring mod, 250-300ft elevation, 75°F

checked accel pump squirt duration ~1.5s and timing with the slide.

followed Eddie's fuel screw adjustment before dialing in idle.  also checked choke and hot start knobs to see how the bike reacts while running.  seems ok.

currently the bike starts cold very quickly and runs smoothly without choke engaged.  thinking this may be because i'm running too rich?

my seat of the pants dyno doesnt feel like its given much of an improvement, 8 extra HP would be very noticeable to me and its really not...

Doesn't add up for me. I've owned 3 drz S models over the past 5 years, all bikes had less than 7k miles and stock gearing.

2005 with 3x3 JD Kit and Yoshi RS 3

2005 with 3x3 JD Kit and Stock Pipe

2012 bone stock   (current bike)

They all have the same noise/rattle sound to me other than the exhaust level, but they each ran different in terms of throttle response and power. The JD kit with stock pipe ran smoother than the stocker and added a bit more snap to the throttle, but still wouldn't pull a 2nd gear power wheelie "easily". The JD Kit + RS3 had noticeably more bottom end power and throttle response, being able to pull 2nd gear power wheelies on command and sometimes 3rd with some effort. Im sure a FCR + Pipe would be that much more noticeable to a new/stock bike unless something was wrong.

currently the bike starts cold very quickly and runs smoothly without choke engaged. thinking this may be because i'm running too rich?

You already know your bike is not running right if it starts up cold without the choke. I would start looking there, hopefully somebody else has more info but I'm guessing too many turns out on the fuel mixing screw?