Sign in to follow this  

Water pump Leak w/ video

I know this has been covered, but i took video of it and thought it would be good as confirmation/ future reference for others.

I'm 90% sure this is the famous water pump leak out the weep hole. can someone confirm?

www.youtube.com/embed/uoo8pQhizzk

Thanks.

info:

fixed my leaking output shaft: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1085126-front-sprocket-blowout-oo/ 

and did the James Dean Jet Kit, along with a few minor fixes (tightening front shock bolts, soldering the kickstand switch wires after last solder came off, chain rollers)

and cannot for the life of me see why, WHY, the very next morning, this decided to start leaking?

To top it off, the Dealer in my area never has parts for anything on my bike, other than o-rings for the oil filter. hell, they once had the o-rings but NO filter.

I HATE waiting for parts...

Edited by Ivan-the-hunter

Definitely is the water pump Pee hole.  Only disassembly will conform if the "RTV fix" will cure the leak.  Rater a faster leak than is common with the usual water pump leak. If the rubber coated white ceramic disc on the back of the water pump impeller is loose, that is the common cause of WP leaks that can be cured by RTVing the dic in place.

Hand cutting gaskets is one of my least favorite tasks.  I avoid it whenever possible.  But of course t can be done.  Good material and accuracy are important.

Be sure to use a new drain plug gasket (washer) every oil change or you risk breaking the case. Order your supplies thru the store and keep it dependable. Napa stocks an oil filter with o rings for your dizzer.

So this is my clutch cover gasket.

Feels plasti-rubbery, came off all in one piece and has very little as far as scaring and indentation goes. Cleaned up with mild glass cleaner and it looks almost new.....

It puts more confidence in me than the paper roll i bought earlier today. Would re-using a gasket this good still be bad? I know how to turn a wrench. I know not what it does.

1400573261717.jpg

Yes, I would probably reuse it.  I do not see the factory applied sealer around the water port. For insurance I would apply a thin smear of Ultra Gray RTV around the water port. Although not advised to re-use gaskets, I have done it when I did not have an option. (parking lot repair). And to be fair I also knew I would be back in the motor in a few days so the re-used gasket was only temporary, but it did work fine.  The hazard of re-using the gasket is an oil leak, (not a big deal) or an internal water leak (not a good deal).  If you are prepared to recognize and deal with a potential gasket problem, go ahead and reuse.

The sealer your talking about i think wiped away. It looked like grey rtv stuf, and i put a thin layer of grey rtv on both sides of the gasket, effectively gluing it on. Everything went back together A OK. Water leak fixed. Then, the fuse blew on the test ride. My fan wiring shorted, so I'm re-wiring that today and she'll finally be ready.

Be sure to use a new drain plug gasket (washer) every oil change or you risk breaking the case. Order your supplies thru the store and keep it dependable. Napa stocks an oil filter with o rings for your dizzer.

you have a part number. I have looked on napa site and cant find one.

Made a thick 14 gauge fan wire harness to power two computer fans (100cfm each), one on each radiator. Made it so each fan can be removed seperately and replaced without disturbing the rest of the harness setup, since these cheap fans will fail after a couple years of nasty trails. Also re-arranged my wiring to stay further away from the radiators. Hopefully this time it wont short out. I'll report back one last time after final assembly.

Ripping----- 09168-12002 washers from TT. Napa filter ps7931.

Ivan- the deal with the washers isn't about leaks, it's about not breaking the engine case. If you re-use a washer gasket or in your case use a nylon washer that will compress the threads pull in so far that it cracks the engine case.

Ripping----- 09168-12002 washers from TT. Napa filter ps7931.

Ivan- the deal with the washers isn't about leaks, it's about not breaking the engine case. If you re-use a washer gasket or in your case use a nylon washer that will compress the threads pull in so far that it cracks the engine case.

Yes, except nylon is weaker than the metal the engine is made out of, and therefore it will crush and compress first.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_strength

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

The tensile strength of nylon is 45. Breaking strength of 78.

Even manesium has a higher sttrength rating. So, by laws of physics, nylon will break, compress, wear, grind, and deform before iron,magnesium, steel, or aluminum. For a washer that is going to be constantly replaced, i think this is a good substitute.

The nylon washers comes off well wore out, crushed just like a crush washer, and needs to be changed. I used a rather thick one, and i've re used it on two oil changes, each time it comes off it is thinner. This'll be the last oil change it makes it through. It wont have enough nylon left to give anymore. This bwhavior of the nylon further proves that physics is right: the nylon is fiving way before the metal, deforming into the shape between engine and bolt, and thus creating a seal.

I am also happy to report that after rewiring my fans, Suzi is finally happy, and not leaking. No oil, no water, and she ran really good. Thank you all! As for the nylon washer discussion, i'm moving that to this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1087089-nylon-washers-on-oil-plugs/
As its more fitting to discuss it in the engineering forum.

Edited by Ivan-the-hunter