Sign in to follow this  

Calculating shock with restackor

Iam about to do some shock testing and Iam thinking that stacks on the piston should be calculated as a midvalve is that correct, and the adjuster as base?

Also, in the perfect world would the ultimate shock setup be an damping curve that matches the forks curve exactly, just with around 3 times more damping?

First question: YES,

Second question has a 100Euro answer-I always wondered the same-Do they (fork and shock) need to have an identical"curves"?

That whole issue of front to rear balance comes down to whether the front end jumps high or low. And that ends up being a day-to-day clicker adjustment.

Manufactures spend a lot of time trying to get that balance right and match up their suspensions to win MX shootouts in the mags. Winning that is a big deal.

IMO the best approach to a good baseline setup is weight scale the stock setup damping to whatever spring rate you are using. Do that and the front to rear balance should workout.

Cheers. I tried making a old pds shock I have, something like my forks, at least on the paper. The damping forces I couldn't get anywhere near 3 times higher, it's way more, but the curves look alike.

Field test tomorrow, and hopefully a lesson learned :)

Don't forget forks have the air spring that's very string near the end of stroke , and they have viscous damping from the spring seats

• Like 1

Also, in the perfect world would the ultimate shock setup be an damping curve that matches the forks curve exactly, just with around 3 times more damping?

No.  Consider the following:

-You have 2X forks and 1X shocks.

-The linkage ratio effects the shock's force and also the shock velocity.  Therefore, comparing the two curves isn't as straightforward, you need to translate the speed axis of the shock curves from wheel speed to shock speed.

• Like 1

I revalved a pds shock yesterday and made the base valves have about the same damping curves. It works very close to friggin awesome. Actually Iam very impressed how good this old (2003) pds shock work after this..

Cheers

What do you mean by "made the base valves have about the same damping curves"?  Do you mean you matched the compression adjusters on the shock to the base valves on the fork?  How do you deal with the linkage ratio?  Please give some more detail.