Sign in to follow this  

About to buy a 2000 xr200r

Anything I need to check for? The bike looks to be pretty well maintained. The guy says so but I'll be the judge of that. Anything you xr gurus would advise me to make sure it's a good bike? Bike has title, and the owner said the rear brake needs to be replaced and would sell it to me for 1000 here in Texas. I need a buddy bike for friends and father in law. Thinking this could be the best option. Have a wr250f and want them to be able to come with me.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400527183.248316.jpg

The 2000 model is just like the 86-02 models except for livery differences thru the years and reduced suspension travel beginning in 93 to lower the seat height. And a lot lower than your WR. LOL

I am no Guru but you can't go wrong with an XR. As long as it was serviced fairly regular and no leaks or drips then you should be good. I also have a WR250F that I ride and a 93'XR200R for a loner bike. I love the WR but the XR is a blast to ride. The suspension is lower and it is what it is but it will take a beating with no problem. Wish my XR was that clean but it always starts and runs great. 

Thank you. I'm going to snag it today. I feel like it will serve it's purpose well. (Get abused and rode hard by newbies) I absolutely love my wr though. When I bought it I was hesitant and now I'm in love. So reliable and fun.

Well I bought it and it is kinda slow but solid. Is there a fuel screw to adjust somewhere on it?

Found the fuel screw. Took the whole carb apart and cleaned it up was a bit gunky inside. Thing runs good tweaked around with the fuel screw and it will pop a wheelie in first and you can ride it through 2nd and maybe third, I'm not that good. The front end is really soft is there anything that can be done to tighten or stiffen the front a bit? Starts on first kick so will make a great buddy bike. Not too nice so eventually they will buy their own. Has a bit of a tick or noise in the top end but I think that's normal for these motors?

Mine had a tick and all it needed was the timing chain adjusted. Videos on youtube on how to do it. Might want to adjust the valves also, easy to do and plenty of instructions alread here and videos on it. That about covers all the maintaince you need for one. Only thing you can do to the front forks for free is put some more preload on the springs with spacers. My '74 TL125 has short pieces of PVC pipe I cut in there for spacers to do the same thing. Good luck. 

standard - DR8ES-L

iridium - DR8EIX

fits 1986-2002

gap  0.028

do you self a favor and spend the extra $ on the DR8EIX

The only reason the bike will be faster is because of your wallet is lighter! 

But seriously the Irridium plug is worth the money because it provides spark in marginal conditions like too rich or too lean, but no HP gain.

Haha for sure I understand. Well it is bought and in. Thanks for all the help boys.

My buddy rode the bike today and that xr has no trouble going up steep hills while following the wr. My friend loved it and the thing can move. Happy with my acquisition.