Sign in to follow this  

To fix or not to fix

Ok guys this is my kids 2000 xr80r. I picked it up this year for 500$ for my son and daughter to learn on. I thought it would last the summer but I was wrong. Anyways let me know your thoughts the chain came off when my daughter laid it down on a big rock and this is the result.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400527261.686464.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400527308.928798.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400527333.820984.jpg

The magnet piece that I'm holding in the picture. Is that part of the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

I can't find that piece in the crankshaft schematic.

Did you find out why it came off?

If it was me, I would like to find out why it cams off before Spending $ to repair it.

Otherwise it's just going to happen again.

It's not the kind of thing that's very common so something must have caused it to happen.

Let every one know here when you discover what caused the problem.

It could save the other 5 million bikes out here that are the same make and model that it has not happened to "yet"

Edited by adnohguy

Is it behind the alternator stator assembly?

Your daughter trashed the stator base plate http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/hirochi/enlargedimage.html?code=31131-GT9-000&img=http://item.shopping.c.yimg.jp/i/l/hirochi_31131-gt9-000#   (best pics i could find)

Usually because of worn chain and sprockets, extended chain play.

You may weld it together again or buy another one.

Left crank housing is trash too and should also be replaced.

Just a matter of time and money.

Front.sprocket looks to have been the culprit. That's the worst worn one I have seen. I have a 1985 and a 2000. Neither look near that bad. Put a 100 cc motor in it if the bike is in good shape otherwise. I would buy a new bike before I would split the case on a $500 bike. Too much time and effort.

• Like 1

Any amount of fixing it will not be worth it.  You will spend more on the individual parts and time that will make the cost sky rocket.  Just go on ebay and find a clean 80/100 motor complete.  You can find one for about $325, even cheaper for an xr80.  Just keep your 80 for parts or part it out.  You most likely will need to get an ignition, since most motors usually don't come with ignitions.  Or just get a complete bottomend.  If it was a 100, I would just sell you one of mine, since I have a ton of them. 

All years XR/CRF 80/100's will work.  Obviously, the newer the better.  Pre-1992 XR100's and pre-93 XR80's use Points.  You CDI setup will work with a set key and a little nub will need to be grounded off.  You don't really even need a step key, I always ran the smaller key with no problems.  But the main reason why the chain jumped was because the XR80/100's don't use a real chain guide.  You can buy one from BBR or make one.  I have a template on my website, although I think that one is for a TTR125, but's it's the same idea. 

:thinking: Should one question what chances are of actually getting a "used ebay motor" in good enough condition to not also need work ($$$).............?  With as much damage as you have, I tend to wonder if you could part out what's left.  Then add that cash to the ebay motor cash and buy another XR80, and come out ahead.............? :excuseme:  Or, depending on engine condition otherwise and how mechanical you are, pick up a used case, gaskets and seals, fix it.................and know what you have.

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Oh boy, buy an engine or a new bike makes me laugh.

Get a used or new (40 bucks new) stator plate and  a 10$ flywheel remover and make your girl happy.

Maybe a new crankseal too will make about 60$ to get the bike running again.

No need to get in extreme.

Get a used or new (40 bucks new) stator plate and  a 10$ flywheel remover and make your girl happy.

"New bike"..................? :thinking:  Why not just a little bubble gum and duct tape..................? ;)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Have you seen the pics?  The left case is junk, seals, stator plate, pick up, fly wheel cover,  possible shift shaft.  Why spend $150-$200 on a half a case and parts and $40 in gaskets just to have and XR80? For just a bit more, you can get a 100 motor.  Or part out the whole bike and start over. As far as chances with ebay motors.  I have over 620 sales and purchases on there, mainly purchases.  I've only had one XR200 that was junk and I got my money back. 

I saw the pics, and just as a budget advice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141273579745?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not everybody has the skill for a serious engine repair, so your suggestion to buy another engine might be right, but expensive.

And as i stated above, the stator plate is a must, the left case an opportunity (since the case half was damaged prior).

Let the thread starter decide.

And b.t.w., i don't want to challenge no one.

It's just my bad skill in english languange, what make my postings sound harsh,

Alex

I saw the pics, and just as a budget advice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141273579745?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not everybody has the skill for a serious engine repair, so your suggestion to buy another engine might be right, but expensive.

And as i stated above, the stator plate is a must, the left case an opportunity (since the case half was damaged prior).

Let the thread starter decide.

And b.t.w., i don't want to challenge no one.

It's just my bad skill in english languange, what make my postings sound harsh,

Alex

I would buy that in a heart beat and problem solved.  That's a GREAT!!!!! deal.   I'm almost temped to buy it and don't even need it.  lol