Sign in to follow this  

2003 ktm exhaust best way to seal manifold

Hello,

I was looking at the parts diagram for the exhaust manifold for my 450exc and there seems to be some seal/gasket that goes inside flange on exhaust manifold, when I look inside the flange there is nothing visible. Is there a part that I need to insert into exhaust manifold or is there another method. I have read about high temp silicone but that does not seem like a long term solution. I have been trying to stop my KTM form popping upon decel/over-run and this might be the air leak that is causing it.

thanks

you can try to make a very thin brass or copper cover that goes around the circumference of the pipe that then becomes a tight push fit. You can use Permatex exhaust sealant too but it only lasts a few months. Silicon will not work on a 4st as they just get too hot.

thanks, but is there a KTM part that is available and should there have been a copper ring from factory. It is possible that there is something in there but the gap is small and I can't see anything visible.

thanks

I have not worked on the 03, but the 04-05-06 Ive worked on did not have any type of factory gasket there and in my search to sstop the air leak this is the first Ive heard of someone thinking there was one...I agree KTM should have one, but Im not aware of any.