Sign in to follow this  

Rear Wheel Alignment

Hi Guys,

Can anyone offer some tips on how to align the rear wheel on a dirt bike (KTM 350SXF) to ensure that the alignment is pretty much straight. I have the correct tension on the chain, I just want to make sure I have the alignment as straight as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I do it by having the bike on a stand, sit behind it and roll the wheel. I look for the chain to be centered on the rear sprocket when rolling forward and back. I dont measure or use the lines on the sides, they are inaccurate. How it centers on the rear sprocket is the only true way I know of to be sure.

I don't trust the marks on the axle blocks. I use a digital caliper. Measure from just above the adjuster bolts to the axle blocks.

I also use a caliper and measure from the inside of the axle to a line/edge on the swingarm just after the tension bolts.  Its the most accurate way. 

• Like 1

Ride engineering sells new axle blocks that use a hondas axle. They make aligninging your wheel effortless. I just got them n their werth every penny

I don't have a problem with the ktm system

aligning is not much work for sure, this is just a question of how to do it. So, how does the Ride stuff do it? Is it different than anything described above?

no goto their site n check it out. its impossible to have it misaligned with there system. werth every penny, ktms system is ass backwards, that's the only part of the jap bikes I miss, shouldn't say that kyb sss forks are the bomb!!!

I can't say I can see any real advantage other than ride engineering getting my money

Many feel that the best way to align the wheels is by visually sighting along both sides of the tires, first front to rear then rear to front.  I turn the front wheel first so that the tire lines up with the rear tire, then adjust the rear tire so that it aligns with the front tire.  This is easier to do than it sounds and is more accurate than most other methods.

I'm with Mog on this one. The stock system works just fine.. The problem with the Ride-Engineering blocks is you lose the ability to flop the blocks around when needed for chain adjustment and for different chain lengths when making sprocket size changes.

anyone who thinks eyeballing it is better then doing it this way needs to get their head checked

IMAG1662.jpg

• Like 1

Well now...there are two things to consider in rear wheel alignment the way I see it. One is to make the chain true on the sprockets and the other is to make the bike true front to rear so it tracks properly and some considerations with suspension and handling if the wheels are in line as well.

Antything else? I feel, for me, that the issue is to make parts last longer so I go with the wheel in line with the sprocket.