Sign in to follow this  

Died while riding, no start.

So I was out riding my drz400s converted to SM near the tail of the dragon yesterday. Bike was running good all day and the day before. Then all of a sudden it dies on me going down the road. Like it lost fuel or spark, just fell flat on its face like I hit the kill switch. I pulled over and it would crank and crank but no start.

So a quick jist of what's going on and known good.

-Cranks no problem, like normal.

-I have spark, removed plug and grounded it against the case.

-no cracks in the spark plug boot

-as far as I can tell I'm getting fuel

-the clutch and kickstand safety switches have been bypassed and are still good.

-kill switch is working properly

I don't have a dvom on me to test anything out cause I'm from Iowa and I'm in Tennessee right now. I have basic tools though. I'm stumped, could it be my rectifier or CDI? I have got it to pop a couple times but that's all I've gotten so far.

Are you sure you are getting good spark. A bad plug will show some spark while testing. Howany miles on your bike?

Thanks for the replies!

Tried switching to prime, no luck. I wished I had se starting fluid or something like that on me right now.

As far as spark goes, I could see a nice blue and white spark. It seemed pretty strong for being really bright outside. The plug is on it's second season however. Wouldn't a plug show other signs before this like sputtering or weak power?

LOCTITE fix? What specifically? I have LOCTITEd almost everything on the bike. Lol

And I haven't tested the stator yet, I don't have a DVOM on me here. I would think it is ok bc all electronics are good and the battery seems strong still.

Thanks again for the replies, I'll catch back up after my training course.

Edited by sumofergie

I tried rolling on the throttle a bit. No start still:-( but I have a flat slide pumper carb off a yamaha(it's been this way for the past 4 years I have owned it) it is normally very cold blooded when I start first thing. but that doesn't explain why it shut off in the middle of riding after a couple hours.

I haven't checked the stator bolts yet, I'll have to do that when I get back to Iowa this weekend I think.

Check the stator. Pull the stator cover and do the loctite fix. If you haven't done it your past due. Does it or did it backfire at all?

Ok guys, finally had a little bit to play wit the Drz today. I tested the coil and it is in spec according to my Clymer's manual.

The only thing I have found wrong was when I tested the pickup coil and signal coil. I tested peak voltage and resistance. I don't know if my multimeter (blue point/snap on) is fast enough to catch it, but I had it on record and according to it both pickup and signal coils were very low voltage. The pickup coil had the correct resistance but the signal coil resistance was high. I have not taken anything apart to see if a bolt came loose or anything yet though on my stator.

robb5 - it did backfire on me a couple times while trying to start it. In fact once it had a decent little fire ball in the intake(I have the filter off right now checking for fuel). It usually backfires when I have the throttle cracked slightly open.

Ok guys, finally had a little bit to play wit the Drz today. I tested the coil and it is in spec according to my Clymer's manual.

The only thing I have found wrong was when I tested the pickup coil and signal coil. I tested peak voltage and resistance. I don't know if my multimeter (blue point/snap on) is fast enough to catch it, but I had it on record and according to it both pickup and signal coils were very low voltage. The pickup coil had the correct resistance but the signal coil resistance was high. I have not taken anything apart to see if a bolt came loose or anything yet though on my stator.

robb5 - it did backfire on me a couple times while trying to start it. In fact once it had a decent little fire ball in the intake(I have the filter off right now checking for fuel). It usually backfires when I have the throttle cracked slightly open.

you have spark, i think the stator is fine. if it werent, there wouldn't be spark, or the battery would have died (no more cranky cranky)

you have fuel (you think ?) so that's working, kind of. dump the drain bowl and see if there is black/green crud in it. if not, just pull the whole stupid carb and make sure nothing fell off like the mixture screw, jets, floats, etc

next is that booger no one wants to think about: compression

disable the autodecomp if you still have it with a zip tie and see if you can get >120 psi. iirc low spec is 90psi or something. it will run, but poorly. soon as it dips blow 85 or something it's toast. check with teaspoon of oil in cylinder, to see if it jumps up. 

Pull the stator cover off and look. You will have to pull the cover to replace the pu coil anyway. I am curious to see if the starter bolts backed out.

Hopefully compression isn't an issue. I was going to test that today but I lost the adapter for the smaller plug type.

As far as the carb goes, I kinda want to "downgrade" anyways. This unknown yamaha carb has been on the bike for 4 years now and has always been kind of an on off carb, power is either on or it's off with very little throttle to play with in the middle. I want to go with the standard cv carb, but with hot cams I don't see too many people running that carb.

I did try some starting fluid but didn't really have any luck, it never popped off or anything.

Anyways, that's a lot of blah blah. I think I will be able to mess with it again this weekend. I want to try a compression check before I go digging into the stator. It doesn't seem like it would be the stator to me, but I'm more of a car and plane guy by trade so this motorcycle stuff is a little different to me.

I still say at least take the stator cover off and visually verify everything is all right.... Only takes a few minutes. I don't really think you magically lost compression while riding.

Backfire indicates timing change or error, the pick up coil/stator is the area of interest.

I agree with both points, I'll have to do that this weekend. I'll fill you in with my findings, or if I come up with more Q's?.

Cool. Here's the deal, if the bolts did back out you are grinding little pieces and sending them into the oil pick up everytime you try to start it. If they didn't back out it's an awsome day and you need to do the loctite fix before the bolts back out.

Check cam timing as well. Perhaps the chain is stretched, or maybe the tensioner is failing.