Sign in to follow this  

150xc mods

hey guys just picked up my first ktm ever, a leftover 12 150 xc for 5700otd. i am new to trails as well, been a mx guy my whole life. i took it to black lake and the tomahawk b and c loops for 2 days and absolutely loved the bike.

being 122lbs its nice to be able to handle your bike when your stuck on a hillclimb lol.

anyways im looking for some mods to improve it as a purely woods bike.

anyone try the clockwork 3.1gallon tank?

also looking at a trail tech ignition mapping switch.

in terms of power what are the easiest ways to get a little more out of the motor?

plan on getting a fatty and carbon pipe guard and not sure what muffler to run. any sx parts i could carry over to get more power?

any other things worth doing/getting?

would like a trail tech voyager or something along those lines.

I can't speak about the Clarke tank, but I did a Acerbis tank on my SX... I can push 70 miles to a tank racing enduro. I get about 35-40 out of a stock tank. I barely notice the larger tank after 5min of riding. The petcock was a little interesting to mount and seems a bit vulnerable, but it works. I did a Powercore 2 muffler for the trails and rejetted per the manual for my elevation. Other than that, all stock.

Great bike for both track days and trail riding. I bought it to be a track only bike, surprised how versatile and fun it is to ride!!!

If you can do Tomahawk b and c loops fine then I don't see the need for a larger gas tank.  40-45mi is about the longest you'll find any trail in MI.  Unless you plan on riding mccct or something.

Avoidthedog.

I run an FMF powercore 2 with the standard pipe (carbon guard is a good idea too)

I tried a European power pipe (made for the sx and XC) and it gave it significantly more power right up top but robbed it from the bottom which I didn't like so I've gone back to the standard pipe.

Jetting it properly gives you more power than most mods IMO.

I've also had the cylinder cleaned up and lightly ported/epoxy work and the head cut for a tighter squish and a touch more compression. It really comes down to how far you want to go chasing gains or moving power around.

My mate also bought a 2013 XC (same as mine) and apart from jetting, he just rides it. Stock. No problem at all and it really does go well. They do come stock with a good engine and all the goodies that make it a good off road bike. Putting SX stuff on it doesn't always make it a better.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. They are a very underrated bike.

Avoidthedog.

I run an FMF powercore 2 with the standard pipe (carbon guard is a good idea too)

I tried a European power pipe (made for the sx and XC) and it gave it significantly more power right up top but robbed it from the bottom which I didn't like so I've gone back to the standard pipe.

Jetting it properly gives you more power than most mods IMO.

I've also had the cylinder cleaned up and lightly ported/epoxy work and the head cut for a tighter squish and a touch more compression. It really comes down to how far you want to go chasing gains or moving power around.

My mate also bought a 2013 XC (same as mine) and apart from jetting, he just rides it. Stock. No problem at all and it really does go well. They do come stock with a good engine and all the goodies that make it a good off road bike. Putting SX stuff on it doesn't always make it a better.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. They are a very underrated bike.

Thanks for the info, i was talking about the clockwork ktm gas tanks not clarke. check them out its supposed to put the weight lower in the bike and will be as narrow as a sx tank all the while looking better haha.

thanks for the tip on the pipe, i definitely dont want to take any bottom end away as i love how well it lugs around so i definitely appreciate the stock power spread. maybe ill send the cyl and head out to get some work done and bump up the compression. i have plenty of sunoco 112 leaded laying around that i use in my crf250r so i dont mind running race fuel.

being 120lbs i ALWAYS have to do suspension work on my bikes, unless i decided to buy an 85 lol. will be swapping springs and figuring out whos the best person to revalve.

as for recluse and steering damper, ive ridden hondas for a while so im perfectly used to headshake and unstable front ends lol. also i dont really see a need for an auto clutch since i cant even manage to stall the damn thing. definitely not an efi 450 with god awful flame out

at your weight you probly need to get lighter springs for the bike. Learn how to adjust the power valve to change power delivery.