Sign in to follow this  

In-Line Fuel Filter Recommendation (CRF230F)

Can someone recommend a decent in-line fuel filter for my CRF230F.  The plan is to install it between the fuel tank petcock and carb (obviously).  One with a metal case and replaceable cartridge is desirable.

A little more money then I wanted to spend, especially since I still need to clean out the tank real well.  Once I'm sure it's clean, I'll probably get one of these.  In the meantime I'll be using an inexpensive Visu-flow in-line filter.

Edited by mossman77

Any plastic or glass filter is a waste of time.

One drop on a rock, or snag on a bush, and you have to push the bike home...unless you carry fuel line with you when you ride....

The plastics ones are JUNK and come un-glued after the ethanol hits them........

Why?  I mean, sure knock yourself out, but I can't see why you would need one.  I just had my 2006 CRF250x apart and there's a pencil shaped filter in the tank.  Mine had clogged up and the bike wouldn't run.  It's a really fine mesh.  You can check a parts schematic to see wha't inside yours. 

FYI, if your bike has a RUN and RES position, it's really good to know how it works.  Basically that pencil filter is divided top and bottom.  In the RUN position it only draws fuel from the top half and RES only from the bottom.  WHY is that important, you say?  Because, when you're out in the woods and the top half "fails", gets clogged and your bike won't run, you'll know that you can switch to RES to draw fuel via the virgin side of the filter.

Anyway, RE:the inline filter, I guess it can't hurt and the tank filter COULD fail . . . but I think it's overkill.  That said, I'd just go on Amazon or your local mower shop and buy a bag full.  I can tell you, the last time I was in Sears and thought I'd pick one up, I was shocked at how expensive those things got, like $8?  Really?

The 230 is a rubust machine.  I'd look to install a device to drain the carb after use.  Now THAT's worth my $.

Cheers,

TomJV

They were really cheap and it's just extra insurance I guess.  Yes, I've pulled the filtering screen out of the tank and cleaned it.  I just need to clean the tank out real well so the fuel doesn't come out piss colored.  I was hoping an external filter would clean the fuel a bit, but all it will probably do is restrict flow.  I purchased some POR-15 cleaner/degreaser so hopefully after I clean the tank with that, I will be good to go.