Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E Restrictors

So as some may know i have purchased myself a 2005 DRZ400E 2 days ago but unfortunatly im stuck on the 33bhp restriction.... one question for you guys is there any "simple" restrictors available? purchasable for Bodged i dont mind, its just pestering me only going up and down my road lol + ive looked on ebay for washers for an E model but there isnt any available 

P.S i have looked at the positives and negatives of riding without the restrictor, and i dont quite like the idea of a 1 year ban + no bike + no licence + £5,000 fine

Edited by mdavidg

I'm a little confused.  You are looking to add a restrictor not de-restrict, right?

You will need to confirm you have the Keihin FCR carb.  The easiest tway to restrict the E model with FCR carb is to add a throttle stop.  Not exactly sure how to do that. It could be done at the throttle thist grip, at the carb  (there is already a stop for the throttle wheel at full throttle), or inside the carb so the slide will not lift all the way.  You are on your own for calibration.

Another option is the fit the S/SM model Mikuni carb, there is probably restrictors available for that.  Easy to fit a throttle stop so the vacuum slide will not open all the way.

Ive heard allot about a "throttle stop" but cant seem to find any information about it which is kind of saddening and i do know for a fact its running the FCR carb, and that a new or used s/sm carb is just excess cash that im not willing to spend on a 8hp difference that will just go up for sale again for less when im done with it

How do the authorities know your bike is more than 33 rear wheel HP...?

Can they enforce you to run it on a dyno..?....If yes. run it with a cheap Knobby tyre at low pressure, it would struggle to make 30...

Or that throttle stop deal sounds good in principle....

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

if they are under the assumption it outputs more then 33bhp they will sieze the bike and dyno it themselves, and as for the knobby i have 17" sm wheels

They don't go by model designation , they go on assumption..?....gee that's weird....

So if you ride with a controlled right hand the assumption could be that the bike is under 33 hp.. :excuseme:

Edited by Craigo 485sm

by the assumption, as in you say hit somebody and then a witness said your speeding ect so the bike goes for an auto check as they know im on a restricted licence or they just pull me over due to speeding and assume its over 33hp by doing a check on there tracker thingy (no idea what it is) and will then persist on the oh how is your bike restricted questions etc etc however, In theory with the SM wheels on i could probably get away with saying "oh its 400 it only outputs 33bhp" or "oh its restricted" but its the fact that if the officer is knowledgeable about bikes which is possible i dont really want to have the risk of losing out on well my "life" in theory

it sucks mostly for me as im one of the last standing 33bhp restrictors left in the uk as they changed the law in 2013

Being a fellow UK biker, and after spending hours reading regulations surrounding the licensing reform of early 2013, and the regulations of that before, i would like to consider myself a good source of information of the matter.

I would assume that you are on a restricted A license, so either way the restriction will finish sometime in the next 6 months or so.

Now if your bike produces over 33bhp according to the factory specification then to comply with your license it has to be restricted.

In order to restrict your bike you have to order the specific restriction plates, then you have to take them, along with your bike to a certified mechanic of whom you will have to to fit them. Along with the fitment you should be supplied a certificate to prove that the mechanic did their job, Just like a MOT Certificate in principle.

What the DVLA don't tell you is that all of the above is completely useless, and the certificate isn't worth the paper it is printed on. In fact, you are not even obligated by law to present said certificate if you are stopped on the road side on suspicion of not conforming with your license. It is down to the police to prove that your bike is producing more than 33bhp, and that means seizing it and getting it dyno'ed. This is very time consuming and very costly for the police.

Now from first hand experience, the police have zero concern on how much power your bike is producing. Of course, if you are on a 150bhp super bike then you are more likely to get questioned regarding your license, but on your z'ed it is very doubtful. As I've said, this is from experience. 

Insurance is a similar matter. Company's will do what ever it takes to make your claim as invalid as they can. I have no doubt that if the bike is a write off then the question of whether or not you were riding illegally, if it be modifications or riding a unrestricted bike on a restricted license, will be asked. But as i have mentioned, It is down to the insurance company, again, to prove that you bike is producing 33bhp or less. Which if your bike is a write off will be very hard work indeed. 

Im not telling you to ride illegally, nor am i telling you to go ahead and fit a restriction plate. This is just what i know.

P.s My restricted A license ends in 3 months! 

it sucks mostly for me as im one of the last standing 33bhp restrictors left in the uk as they changed the law in 2013

Ok I see.....

In Australia they go on model designation...It's a power to weight deal,...a limit of 150 kilowatts per tonne (Kw/t) which opens the door to capacity,

eg/ a Suzuki SV650 is a learner Approved Motorcycle

May i ask, i take it you have been riding unrestricted for the duration too? if so how have your "stops" been if you have had any?

by the assumption, as in you say hit somebody and then a witness said your speeding ect so the bike goes for an auto check as they know im on a restricted licence or they just pull me over due to speeding and assume its over 33hp by doing a check on there tracker thingy (no idea what it is) and will then persist on the oh how is your bike restricted questions etc etc however, In theory with the SM wheels on i could probably get away with saying "oh its 400 it only outputs 33bhp" or "oh its restricted" but its the fact that if the officer is knowledgeable about bikes which is possible i dont really want to have the risk of losing out on well my "life" in theory

Though i have never hit a pedestrian, I did get pulled doing 47mph in a 30 zone. This was only 3 weeks before the new laws regarding fines and penalty points when speeding!

It has now changed from a £60 fixed penalty to a £100 fixed penalty, whether you are aware of that or not! and if you get caught doing 50mph in a 30 then you automatically get sent to court and most likely will get a driving Ban.

But anyway, I got pulled and they asked for my license. They didn't even mention anything about the fact i have a 25kw (33bhp) restriction, they didn't care one bit on how much power my bike made. 

May i ask, i take it you have been riding unrestricted for the duration too? if so how have your "stops" been if you have had any?

The one above!

I got pulled over for doing a wheelie, no hassle, no fine, just a warning.

I was seen doing a wheelie. had a policeman at my door 2 hours later. Got another warning, Due to him having no evidence.

I even had a accident on the A38 down my way, the police came to the hospital to question me and not once did they ask if i had a restricted license, if my bike was restricted or anything along that subject. I don't even recall them asking for my license. 

Good times!

Well just from the fact of how rare it seems restrictors are for a converted E to SM im just going to have to man it out until either A) i find a restrictor im comfortable purchasing or B) ride till my restriction is over

I would also consider this to be relevant, as you too have a E model. 

I have no indicators, no mirrors, a illegally sized numberplate that is not at the correct angle, and a rather loud exhaust.

Now it is not a legal requirement to have indicators and/or mirrors on any bike converted for road use. But the point im making is that the police are incredibly lenient here in the UK, but they will make your life a hell if you make their job hell too. Manners on the road side go a very long way indeed. The politer you are, the less you get questioned.

I never ran a restrictor kit on my first bike, honda rvf400, and it make 47 bhp :D

At the end of the day the only way they can confirm that it is over 33 is by dynoing it. And they're only going to force you to dyno it if you have a massive crash or they catch you going very fast.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just don't drive like a nobber.

Take the 400cc stickers off the bike too and people will assume it's just some lame DirtBike lol.

• Like 1