Sign in to follow this  

Change to Supermoto

just i am thinking of buying a KTM SX 250 2 stroke 2006 model that is almost brand new never been used really , i am thinking of buying to use it as my daily commute around town ( cairo/Egypt ) not very well flat streets , i want to change to super moto tyres would that be a good idea or not , 2 stroke engines are legal in cairo .

so please tell me if it is a good idea or not and what why would it be bad or why good ,thanks a lot for help 

I have an 05 300 EXC and made it street legal, just so I can ride it to the trails nearby.  It is very buzzy at even moderate speeds on the road.  It would help to balance the wheels, and also change the sprockets to reduce the rpms.  I plan to balance the wheels soon, because it's free & easy.  Not sure about the sprockets because I'm very happy with it in the woods.

I wouldn't buy one of these bikes with plans to make it good for the street.  Other bikes are much better for that. 

just i am thinking of buying a KTM SX 250 2 stroke 2006 model that is almost brand new never been used really , i am thinking of buying to use it as my daily commute around town ( cairo/Egypt ) not very well flat streets , i want to change to super moto tyres would that be a good idea or not , 2 stroke engines are legal in cairo .

so please tell me if it is a good idea or not and what why would it be bad or why good ,thanks a lot for help 

Question: Is it a good idea?

Answer: There are better. 

Why: 

1. They aren't good at speed
  2. they use a fair amount of fuel
  3. they can't be fuelled at a fuel stop
  4. they vibrate
  5. they are loud and buzzy at highway speed
  6. no locks
  7. stand doesn't go well with motard wheels
  8. close ratio gearbox
  9. service intervals are very short
  10. uncomfortable as F***

Question: are Super moto tires beter for road riding?

Answer: yes

Question: Are they fun to ride

Answer: hell yes.

Even though 2 stroke is legal in Egypt, are motocross bikes with no lights, signals etc?