Sign in to follow this  

RS 450 Dealer Prep

What's the extent of dealer prep needed when they get a BYOB delivered?  Are all fluids already in, are bars on and wheels mounted?  Is there any prep?

Bars are not on. Headlight is off the bike. Skidplate is off the bike. Frame guards are in a box. No oil in either side. Then depending on the BYOB that could be it. However, items like an exhaust, large tank, need to be installed at the dealer.

What's the extent of dealer prep needed when they get a BYOB delivered?  Are all fluids already in, are bars on and wheels mounted?  Is there any prep?

This will be very different between dealers. Some will re-grease all bearings and torque motor, head, clamps and suspension bolts. Some will set sag and set all controls to you when you arrive.

i'll let you know... mines shipping from pasa robles to santa ana tomorrow......

i'll probably be camped out behind george's shop, putting stuff on....

i have electrical work to do three doors up from him.

i wanna go riding this weekend, if i can. if the cooling system is dry, i want to

run evans waterless coolant.. 

i'll let you know... mines shipping from pasa robles to santa ana tomorrow......

i'll probably be camped out behind george's shop, putting stuff on....

i have electrical work to do three doors up from him.

i wanna go riding this weekend, if i can. if the cooling system is dry, i want to

run evans waterless coolant.. 

I run the Evans in mine. One thing to warn you though. On the Beta, the Evans spits out coolant until it's just below the fins. It works fine. Just don't panic when you come back from a ride and can't see the coolant. It's been like that on my Beta since I switched over to it over a year ago. I have the 1.8 cap.

If you would like to do a Sunday evening ride, let me know. I have good lighting (Squadron) and a Battery pack (Stykr) one you can mount to your helmet if your interested. Maybe CNF?

I run the Evans in mine. One thing to warn you though. On the Beta, the Evans spits out coolant until it's just below the fins. It works fine. Just don't panic when you come back from a ride and can't see the coolant. It's been like that on my Beta since I switched over to it over a year ago. I have the 1.8 cap.

If you would like to do a Sunday evening ride, let me know. I have good lighting (Squadron) and a Battery pack (Stykr) one you can mount to your helmet if your interested. Maybe CNF?

i talked to george this morning.... i suspect that the beta didn't ship yet.

so it won't be around until next week most likely. he said he'd call me when

it showed up.

he said something about paso robles taking a little longer 'cause of excessive

checking of upgrade boxes.

if i'm gonna do night stuff, i have two surefire headlights that are rechargeable,

that i use for work... 500 lumens, for about an hour and a half. the scoot will

probably be ready end of next week...... if i'm lucky.

i've got some settling back in before i start riding with people. with the exception

of a half hour test ride a couple months ago, i've not been riding in 30 years.

i'll make up some 40:1 geritol premix, and see how it goes first.

i talked to george this morning.... i suspect that the beta didn't ship yet.

so it won't be around until next week most likely. he said he'd call me when

it showed up.

he said something about paso robles taking a little longer 'cause of excessive

checking of upgrade boxes.

if i'm gonna do night stuff, i have two surefire headlights that are rechargeable,

that i use for work... 500 lumens, for about an hour and a half. the scoot will

probably be ready end of next week...... if i'm lucky.

i've got some settling back in before i start riding with people. with the exception

of a half hour test ride a couple months ago, i've not been riding in 30 years.

i'll make up some 40:1 geritol premix, and see how it goes first.

Oh dude! Perfect! You sound like just the kind of guy I like to ride with. Screw these chest pounders! I'm really mellow. I just like to putt when riding up in CNF. Just let me know....

I read up on the Evans waterless (googled evans coolant problems) and found some info that maybe its not all that great, are you guys convinced that its the right choice?  Do the newer Beta's need it now that they have a fan?  Just curious?

I read up on the Evans waterless (googled evans coolant problems) and found some info that maybe its not all that great, are you guys convinced that its the right choice?  Do the newer Beta's need it now that they have a fan?  Just curious?

My 2 cents? No, but that's me. The fan is super so is the high pressure cap. In 650 miles the fan has only come on once off road, and in the garage idling for a long time, yes, no biggie. Beta USA or my dealer when they set mine up has some dark blue juice, that works fine, for now.........

good question....

i did some looking as well... i've got a gallon of the stuff along with a gallon of the

conversion fluid coming from amazon. after reading, i'm inclined to check further

before dropping it in the bike... i can always return it.

if you really wanted to know whats going on, a data logger would be the best

way to find out... one thermocouple in the radiator, and one on the cylinder head.

watch the delta in the log and see where the cooling system can't keep up.

i've got a battery powered data logger and TC's that could go in a backpack

if i really need to know whats going on here.

i went with the supercool radiators and silicone hoses, so i have no T stat.

didn't upgrade the water pump. don't see the advantage to doing that, as there

is a relatively small volume of coolant in the system, and pumping it faster

than you need to isn't going to help cooling.

our hawaiian mud bog coolant tester has already invented the wheel on this stuff,

and i don't see a good reason to re invent a wheel he's already written about.

i've seen a significant reduction in engine temp on my street bike with switching

to engine ice, so i'm going there, along with a switch so i can turn the fan on

before the engine calls for it, and leave it run for snarky sections.

I added the switch to mine, running into town in stop and go traffic, it has yet to hit the 200º mark. It's only been in the high 70º locally so the real test will be this summer.

I added the switch to mine, running into town in stop and go traffic, it has yet to hit the 200º mark. It's only been in the high 70º locally so the real test will be this summer.

I'm gonna use the turn signal switch to pull in a relay to turn on the fan..

And I'm adding a second fan on the other side for those rock crawls...

I've used this brand in the past with flawless results. http://www.autoswitch.com/index.php  For the fan I just used a water proof switch and mounted it in the side of the head light mask since it didn't need power. The switch was less then 5.00.

I've used this brand in the past with flawless results. http://www.autoswitch.com/index.php  For the fan I just used a water proof switch and mounted it in the side of the head light mask since it didn't need power. The switch was less then 5.00.

those... are seriously cool.... THANKS!

one to force both fans using an ice cube relay to carry the current,

and a second one to operate a garage door opener... left turn signal

for one, right turn signal for the other.

the only thing funky about the whole deal is the taps they include

to tap on the control wire. those will  fail the tapped wire in a vibration

environment. solder and heat shrink tube is preferable.

thanks again for this...

I never use the included taps, their junk at best. I usually wire them to the directional off position so I don't have the directional flash when using the switch. Not sure if they will work that way on the Beta since the directionals are not self canceling. I might be more inclined to use the high beam or better yet the flash to pass switch. I'd rather flash the high beam then use the directional and fail to follow the indicated turn. Pressing the switch once turns them on and twice turns them off. There is a tiny led light that changes from red to green to indicate with the switch is on or off.