Sign in to follow this  

Anyone expecting a CRF250F?

I didn't see this discussed anywhere else, but it crossed my mind.

Perhaps Honda is still trying to get someone to buy the 250x unsuccessfully, but it seems to me that a CRF250F based off this platform but with ditching the lights and street stuff would probably sell pretty well. They sure shuffled their off road lineup a lot this year on the small end with the 125's and 110 and such, Anyway, just a thought.

• Like 1

I could be totally wrong, but I don't see it. This is a street oriented bike that can also go into dirt. It's based off the CBR250R. I just don't see the platform making an F model. Just my guess.

• Like 2

The "F" models are off road bikes intended for the casual family rider ... the "X" models are competition enduro bikes ... I can see them dumping the CRF230F model in the future and upgrading that bike to a CRF250/350F ...

• Like 1

I agree with Goat. The CRF250L feels like a street bike first, and dirt bike second. I don't think a 300 pound 250cc would be well-received for a strictly off-road motorcycle.

• Like 5

They would need to shed a ton of weight off the 250l to make it a legitimate upgrade to the the 230f.

The 230f is actually a very capable off road bike.

I would love it if they did though. I want an aluminium sub frame to replace the heavy steel thing.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

They would need to shed a ton of weight off the 250l to make it a legitimate upgrade to the the 230f.

The 230f is actually a very capable off road bike.

I would love it if they did though. I want an aluminium sub frame to replace the heavy steel thing.

I did not mean to suggest they would make a CRF250F from a CRF250L  .... I mean't they could upgrade the CRF230F with a lighter frame USD forks and a 250/350 engine and still keep it in the "F" family. I have even read somewhere that the "F" stands for "Family" and the "X" stands for competition off road and the "R" stands for "Race" or Motocross .... 

The CRF250L stays inline with all the other L's Honda has ever made .... street first and trails second. It is up to us and where we live to decide if making the "F" model street legal or making the "L" model more dirt worthy is what we need/want.

In my mind a true Dual Sport needs to be able to be ridden home from the trails regardless of what happens and this is why they tend to be heavy ... because they are strong and durable and can truly live up to the Honey Badger reputation ....  :p

just my stupid thoughts ....  :lol:

• Like 2

Id rather see them make a better dual sport than an F model.  If I wanted a dirt only, 250cc honda, Id get the X model.  And if I thought the X would be to wild, then Id get the 230F.  I gues if they did a modernized 250F it could be a good little bike, but I think id still be wanting the X, if street legal wasnt part of the deal.

• Like 1

I did not mean to suggest they would make a CRF250F from a CRF250L  .... I mean't they could upgrade the CRF230F with a lighter frame USD forks and a 250/350 engine and still keep it in the "F" family. I have even read somewhere that the "F" stands for "Family" and the "X" stands for competition off road and the "R" stands for "Race" or Motocross .... 

The CRF250L stays inline with all the other L's Honda has ever made .... street first and trails second. It is up to us and where we live to decide if making the "F" model street legal or making the "L" model more dirt worthy is what we need/want.

In my mind a true Dual Sport needs to be able to be ridden home from the trails regardless of what happens and this is why they tend to be heavy ... because they are strong and durable and can truly live up to the Honey Badger reputation ....  :p

just my stupid thoughts ....  :lol:

That's fine but I wish they would convert the L into an F model cause it might mean a cheap source of dirt orientated parts for the L while still keeping it street legal, eg better forks and suspension, aluminium subframe etc.

Probably isn't going to happen though.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

I'm tired of the crap that the Japanese companies are churning out these days.

I wish they would provide a bit more choice than either 250/450 highly tuned race bikes and POS dual sports designed to sell in third world countries.

What does KTM give you

200EXC

250EXC

300EXC

250EXCF

350EXCF

450EXC

500EXC

350 Freeride

250 Freeride 2T

Then there are 6 days versions and XC versions of the bikes above. At least KTM is trying to give us a few choices. The Japanese have completely lost interest in selling great trail bikes.

I'll give Honda credit though for creating a bike in the 250L that performs a lot better than it has any right to perform based on the sum of its parts

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

They could make one that had little to do with the 250L. I believe the CRF230L and CRF230F had almost nothing in common.

• Like 2

Honey Badger

Hehe, you said Honey Badger. The Honey Badger don't give a sheet! Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 2