Sign in to follow this  

Chain question

I just picked up an rk xw ring master link chain. I dont currently have the rivot tool i was just wondering if i could get the master link pressed in and then put it on the bike or if id have to already have it set up on the bike? Thanks everyone

If you have it riveted off the bike you will need to remove the swing arm to install it. 

I've riveted chains with a ball bearing and a c-clamp in a pinch. The tool really doesn't make things so much easier. Don't bother with the harbor freight version, its the reason I had to use the ball bearing and c-clamp.

• Like 1

I planned on removing the swingarm the swingarm to grease it anyway. Which way is safer? Or easier if it doesnt make a difference. I planned on doing the swingarm tm so if im doimg it that way i should get it rivoted also. Either way was just wondering whats the best option

I planned on removing the swingarm the swingarm to grease it anyway. Which way is safer? Or easier if it doesnt make a difference. I planned on doing the swingarm tm so if im doimg it that way i should get it rivoted also. Either way was just wondering whats the best option

you dont want to just get a link with the clip? i've never had one come apart...

• Like 1

Its to late now lol. I didnt even really know their were dif kinds before i got it i just went with a chain everyone said was good i didnt think the tool would be to much i thought i good get one at a shop locally but their all online. I could bring my bike in if i need to itd just be a lil tough findimg a truck and all that but either way i just need to find a way tl get it on now

Its to late now lol. I didnt even really know their were dif kinds before i got it i just went with a chain everyone said was good i didnt think the tool would be to much i thought i good get one at a shop locally but their all online. I could bring my bike in if i need to itd just be a lil tough findimg a truck and all that but either way i just need to find a way tl get it on now

Just by a masterlink at any motorcycle shop.

Just by a masterlink at any motorcycle shop.

Mate......Different clip links suit specific chains....You need to get a clip link to suit YOUR particular RK chain

Are you sure it's the correct length? That's the only reason not to rivet it together off the bike.

If you are already removing the swing arm and the front sprocket, it really doesn't matter.

I only use rivet links, as a failed link, or broken chain can be catastrophic.

A local motorcycle shop would probably rivet it for you reasonable. This maybe the best idea if you don't have a tool, as you can mess up the rivet. If you mess up the rivet installation you will have to order a new one. Even with the tool you can mess up the rivet, there's a bit more to it then just cranking down the handle.

Would i have to get a link with a clip online? Idk i just bought the chain online imnprettt sure its a rivot link but idk i havent taken it out does anyone know if the rk i got comes with clip or rivot? I got the right size chain size 112 link 520

it probably came with a clip type master. I usually order 2 masters everytime i but a new chain. Im anal about chain care, clip types are just fine. A big reason i prefer clip type master is because oring chains are sealed, the grease is added under vacuum . When you install a link in the chain , you put what grease in thatyou can, but it is not comparable to the grease in the rest of the chain. It becomes your weak link. Its not rivet and forget. I always pay attention to my master link , when i see wear on the clip,i change the link and grease. I know you are dualsportin, but a chain iz still your lifeline.

• Like 1

True that thats why im being careful and asking you guys that have experience. If it turns out to be master link and i need the rivot tool i should probably just put everything back together then bring it to the shop and have them throw it on fast right? I didnt loom it up and down i havent even taken it out of the box or anything yet just looked at it quick. Its possible my uncle may even have the rivot tool but idk im gonna call him this week

Terms can be confusing. The term "Master Link" is the name of the connecting link to join a chain. Master links come in various styes.  Common styles are "rivet type" and "clip type".  The rivet type requires 2 tools to assemble - a press tool to press on the side plate and a rivet tool to mash over the end of the pins to secure the side plate.  A clip type requires only 1 tool.  A press tool to press on the side plate.  Often the side plate can be pressed on by improvising using a C clamp or vise grips and a nut to clear the pins. Once the side plate is pressed on, it is secured with a spring clip.  Old clip type master links not used much anymore and not used at all with sealed chains, the side plate was a clearance fit and could be assembled/disassembled by hand.

I would suggest you verify the length of the new chain is correct.  Some DRZ use 110, some 112.  Master links that match your chain can usually be bought at a motorcycle shop.  They can also be purchased on line from where you bought the chain or any big on-line retailer.  Both clip type and rivet type master links will work fine.  Some times you have a choice if master link types when you order the chain.  Clips are directional. Consider the clip an arrow that points in the direction the chain moves.

Both types of master links can be used to join the chain on or off the motorcycle.  If joined off the motorcycle, the chain needs to be installed on the motorcycle before the swing arm is reinstalled.

Can anyone tell if this is the clip type or rivet type? I think its the clio type but idk

1400631037580.jpg

That's the clip type, no tools required really. As mentioned above, pay very close attention, it must be installed in the correct direction.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch i was stressing about a rivet tool when i dont need one. Hell yes thanks guys. Proba ly be one of the last things i put on im focusing on the bigger things currently having trouble with the swingarm

That's a Pressed clip type, alittle easier, but the side plate still is a pressed fit. A small socket and large channel locks can do it.

The rivet types are so tight it takes a much stronger press tool. try to press the plate to where the clip will easily fit in the groove, press to far and the link will bind.

• Like 1

Just put the chain on , butting the ends together on the rear sprocket , put an o ring on each pin , put a lil grease inside bushing install the link from the wheel side of the chain put o rings on outside of pins now, start the sideplate over the pins, using a small nut and vise grips(or chain press) and working from pin to pin, press sideplate on just far enough to get clip into the 2 slots in the pins. Now the important part...with the chain on top of sprocket , the open end of the clip goes to rear , solid to the front . Use a pair of pliers to slide it on , making sure it is firmly set in the grooves . Finished. The reason the open end of the clip goes to the rear is so the clip doesnt catch on anything and damage or pop it off, you did the right thing,,asking . Thats how we learn more about the bikes we love .

• Like 2

Thanks a ton everyone! Ive been asking tons of question i just stress over it all to much everything seems to be going fine thanks to all you guys! Ill def have pics when its back together