Bunch of questions

Ok, so I am a long time lurker, not posting so much.  But here we go...

Bought an 04 CRF250R very much in need of some help.  The young man that had it before me took the top end apart, and of course its not running.  Initial inspection showed valve timing off by 2 teeth.  On disassembly found timing chain has "kink" as in it must have been rolled over on itself backwards,  and is no longer usable.  So before I tear the rest of it apart, I am planning for the worst.

Thinking head rebuild, new piston and rings, and a new timing chain.  Would like to do this on a low budget, already looked at the suggested head rebuilder (fastheads, ect).  NOTE"  **low budget**  "

Turning 54 this year, so we have slowed down a bit.  Sold YZ450 and swore never to race again.  But it gets boring at the track watching my son, so if I get this 250 right I might try the "AARP" class?

Ideas?  Suggestions?

I don't think I would do the valves until you know if it needs it or not. You should probably check the rod play though, that should give you an indication of how many hours are on the bike. I also quit racing in my late 30's and now at 51 I am itching for the AARP class myself. Sorry I can't answer your other questions but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't think I would do the valves until you know if it needs it or not. You should probably check the rod play though, that should give you an indication of how many hours are on the bike. I also quit racing in my late 30's and now at 51 I am itching for the AARP class myself. Sorry I can't answer your other questions but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

With all the valve issues on these early Honda's, I am thinking one teardown and done.  Rather make it right instead of a trailer queen.  And as to the AARP class, I think they let us go backwards with the mods.  As in training wheels, special parking and a nap area.......

So this is where the old timers hang out!

With the 1.75 shims there is some valve recession. See how well the valves seal by pouring some liquid down the ports then dissasemble and inspect the valves, chances are you'll be doing the head.

What the heck is AARP anyway? Let me guess, ARTHRITIC'S ANNONAMUS RACING in PAIN.?

My son and grandson recently got MX bikes so i picked up a very low hours 07. Thinking of racing again if my body holds out.