Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 200 Ignition Timing

I have been searching online to no avail on this, I need some help adjusting the timing on a 2000 ktm 200. The bike pings really bad just off idle under load, I have tried adjusting the fuel screw and needle position and going richer on the screw was the only thing that helped, however it was a very minor upgrade.

I popped the stator cover off and found the timing aligned with the furthest looker left mark on the cover, would this be fully advanced or retarded?

As a test I set it to the other mark, I am gonna try a test ride tomorrow. Bike is running 40:1 with 91 octane jetted pretty rich

Well no reply so I had to just test my theory. I set the timing to the further lookers left mark and it made a huge difference for the better. I've concluded due to the fact that it almost completely eliminated the pinging issue, the power hit was greatly reduced and the power being a lot more linear, that the move retarded the timing.

Some small jetting changes should clean it up even more im hoping. It seems to be jetted really rich so going to order some jets and continue testing.

On my 200 there is 2 timing marks.  Manual say to use the one on the right.  Don't know if that is advanced or retarded though.

I can confirm that the mark on the left is retarder and the mark on the right is advanced. I read the bike will run anywhere between those two marks, so I set it to the left one and went for a test ride.

The bike almost doesn't ping anymore off idle under load, power is much more linear and easier to control, it still has a very healthy top end but the change in timing completely eliminated the hard hit up top.

Not sure what gas is recommended with the advanced setting mark, but this bike pinged like crazy and is running really fat jetting based off reading other peoples similar setup bikes. Currently running 91 (best I can get from the pump) with, motorex @ 40:1