Sign in to follow this  

Any issues with 2012 - 2013 YZ250F

The only issue I have is when i'm done riding the track it leaves a big ol' grin on my face and I always tell my riding buddies how much I love my bike. 

• Like 3

Some people/testers report carb tuning issues. Throttle bog is the most common. That's pretty easy to resolve with an R&D float bowl. Also they are a little down on power compared to the kawi and 2014 yzf.

Aside from that there are no issues. It's the most reliable of all the 250fs with the KTM a close second. The motor is proven or old depending on your view but nobody denies it's reliable as hell. The chassis and suspension are also excellent. Front brake is a bit weak like all the Japanese bikes but that's easy to fix. 

IMO with a few carb/motor mods it's very competitive and cheaper to own/race than the competition.

Some people/testers report carb tuning issues. Throttle bog is the most common. +1 on this after about a month of tinking around with the carb I got it to pull hard all the way up "to the best of my ability" did the o-ring mod and the bike will not bog on me in use "on the track" but, if it's sitting in neutral off an idle and you wack the throttle a few times it will hesitate "bog" a bit. I haven't been able to completely eliminate this while the bike is sitting but on the track it's crisp.

The chassis and suspension are also excellent. +1 I feel the suspension is excellent and on the stiff side so my sag numbers are dead on for me as I weigh 175lbs "no gear" the forks are a touch hard at the top, I hear people take out 5cc of oil to soften them up but it's ok with me.

"I hear people take out 5cc of oil to soften them up but it's ok with me."

I've heard that too and I plan to try that when I get the chance. Don't really notice anything until I ride a track that has square edge bumps. Then I can feel harshness thru the bars. It's not bad but it's there.

The motor is a short shift motor. I don't know if that is bad or not. That really depends on your riding style and ability. It suited me pretty good and was fun to ride but when racing I found I wanted more top end for those drag race to the corner moments. I would say if you do not plan to race it is a great fun bike. I race intermediate maybe in a lower class it would be fine.