Sign in to follow this  

When engine is off, clutch won't disengage..

Does it matter? :).

A little history.. A few weeks ago I took out the recluse auto clutch and reinstalled the stock clutch plates that were taken out for the rekluse to work.. I didn't take out the already installed stock clutch plates. Put the clutch springs back in...

Ok so when I am riding, the clutch disengages completely when I pull the clutch lever in... It does catch a little when I start the bike for a second but goes away completely... Now when I have the bike in gear and the motor is off if I pull the clutch lever in, it only partially disengages... It doesn't bother me too much but was wondering if it is damaging anything...

Going to drain the oil again and take a look at it later this week.. Also need a new radiator, bark busters and to install some washers on the lower oil hose.....

I would remove the clutch pack and look at the frictions and plates. Check the plates for grooves and warps the may cause a dragging clutch. Does it act different hot vs. cold? Using a new oil brand or wt.?

If you're measuring this by difficulty to push the bike, this is a characteristic inherent to wet-clutches, and is especially noticable on the DRZ.

Try this:

1. Leave the bike in gear, disengage the clutch, and push the bike (it will be very difficult)

2. Ride the bike till very warm, kill it, leav the bike in gear, disengag the clutch, adn push the bike.

It will be FAR easier pushing it hot then cold with the clutch in.  Because the clutch is wet, there will always be viscous drag.  Cold oil will produce a lot of this drag.  This is also the reason you feel a jolt when you stomp into 1st with the engine running.