GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Bad crash... Getting the bike on the trailer.. Radiator, bark busters and other things broken

Soooo, I've ridden around 300 miles of very difficult trails and single track since I bought my 00E. Have had a few crazy crashes but luckily the bike was never harmed (just me and my ego)... Did roughly 75 miles of single track and some trails yesterday, no crashes. Got back to the trailhead and was ready for a beer! The trailer that we used didn't have ramps and the floor was roughly 18" off the ground. I came up to it, preloaded and tapped the gas. Got the front upon problem but was coming in too hot. The rear tire hit the back of the trailer and threw me off the side like a bronco.

Now the bike has the big IMS fuel tank on it that does a heck of a job protecting the radiator. And the radiators have the devot guards on them. But the trailer had a 30" or so high railing on the side and wouldn't you know it, the tank went over the railing and the railing caught my right side radiator... One in a thousand chance......

The lower radiator hose that goes into the engine tore and I busted the fin on the radiator and it leaked BAD. I have 1 left and 2 right radiators extra for the drz400e but my bike has been converted to the 400s cooling system :( and since I do sketchy single track, I want to keep it that way with the fan. I have read ok things about the 100 dollar radiators. But was wondering if anyone here had an extra for sale or trade.. Have a full yoshimura rs3 exhaust, plastic and 400e radiators for trade.

Also busted the bark breaker on my right side. Including the piece that goes into the handlebar. The bike has a brothers tripple clamp along with Easton fat bars. If I ever get done writing this post, I plan on doing some searches to see what is compatible...

Still happy about buying a heavily modified and used bike... But gosh darn, it takes a bit longer researching and wrenching.. Sadly.. I think I enjoy it

image.jpg

Also, check out my air box.. The top has the 3x3 but the right side has a bunch of 1/2" holes in it... This isn't recommended is it? Didn't plan on pulling the FCR until winter time as the bike is running almost 100% so I don't know the jetting. I live in co so the majority of my riding is 8500'-12000'..

That was an optimistic stunt mate.....anyway we all learn from mistakes,,,,,let's move on....

If you list your mods, we can steer you in the right direction as far as jetting goes....

• Like 1

I hear ya man. I hit a deer last summer, and my radiators looked like the hulk tried to crush them like beer cans. But Myler's fixed em up for me. Maybe they can get yours going again too. it was cheap for both to be repaired, so a single aint going to be much. If you know it is beyond repair, well, I found this on their site:

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/eshopprod_cat_8142-97576_product_1415383.Pre_OwnedRadiators.htm

pre-owned radiators. Give 'em a ring.

Thanks everyone! Ended up buying a new pair of radiators for 80 bucks... eBay special.

Definitely going to patch up the air box, sooo much dust gets it

Starting to put the bike together as parts come in. Used a roll of wide electrical tape and a box knife to patch up all of the holes on the side of the airbox.

1400988625773.jpg

It's really easy to a lift a bike into something one wheel at a time. Not even heavy with two people. Can do it by myself with effort.