Sign in to follow this  

2014 yz250f vs 2014 ktm350 xc-f

well my buddy figured he would one up my brother and I when we picked up our new 2014 yz250f's by running out and getting a ktm350. We finally got out for a ride together and lined them up on some hard packed sand at our local "dune" area and much to my delight, I had him until about mid way threw 3rd every time, the 350 clearly has the top end but the yz250f has a fair bit more bottom end snap, which we confirmed with a few drags and swapping back and forth, but this new Yamaha seriously impressed me! I have never owned anything smaller then a 250 two stroke till this bike but I don't regret getting the 250 over the 450 at all, its light and super fun to ride!! both of us are around 205lbs and both had 8 paddle sand tires installed. When riding his ktm I noticed that not until the upper rpms does it feel impressive, which I found to be the opposite of my Yamaha which feels great down low and in the mid range lacks slightly on top. I guess this is my lame attempt at a review of my new ride, which only has about 8 hours on it, but so far its great! the bike handles well, feels light and is a blast to ride! If I had to complain about anything it would be the exhaust note which is a bit noisy, and with the new air box design up front you definitely want to carry a handful of air filters with you in dusty or sandy conditions, the ktm air filter didn't get near the abuse my filter did!

• Like 1

Thanks for the post this is the two bikes I'm considering for my next bike. I've never owned a Yamaha and thinking heavily about trying one. At 214lbs in street clothes though the 350 might make more sense.

I have some friends that have them and they seem to like the new 14 YZF250's, unfortunately they live a few hours away so getting a ride on one isn't that easy.  Thanks for the comment.

• Like 1

I wouldn't stray from the 250 because of your weight, you aren't much heavier then myself, however depending on your riding the ktm may very well be a better bike, I feel for strictly trail riding and in areas when top end is favored it would be super nice, although as I stated the bottom end pull of the Yamaha makes corner to corner trails or track riding pretty fun which is what I personally like, and I find the Yamaha cockpit slightly more comfortable if you ditch the stock bars, they are a bit to neutral and relaxed feeling. Either way both are great bikes and I would be proud own either one! definitely get the xc-f if you go ktm unless most of your time is on the track, the 6 speed is pretty nice as is the larger fuel tank!

I've spent considerable time on the KTM, and as stated, compared to the new YZ250F both are a win-win. Just depends on riding style, preference, trails, track, etc. When we trade off on group rides no one backs away from either bike as the loaner.

• Like 1

lets talk weight...the yz250f is a SOLID what...(15lbs??!!) lighter than the 350. HUGE.

lets talk weight...the yz250f is a SOLID what...(15lbs??!!) lighter than the 350. HUGE.

Lets NOT talk weight, the reality is we are not comparing apples with apples here. One of these manufacturers knows how to build a bike, the other not so much. 

I will leave the reader to come to their own conclusions on the above statement.