Sign in to follow this  

Gold Chain

How does everyone keep their gold chain clean? I have never been able to keep it clean for long. I had better luck on a normal chain, but now I am running a gold o-ring. The outside face is just black. I tried to scrub the chain and it's still black. I am just curious what people do.

I'm also disappointed. My chain is 4 rides old and already showing rust. I had a wet nasty practice last Thursday and didn't clean/ lube it right away. It was just thrown into the garage and sat until today. (Gear too, damn was it nasty smelling). Anyways, I just didn't expect the Renthal chain to rust that easy.

I get a new chain and before I put it on the bike I pit it in a parts washer and get all the wax off of it. Then I put it in the sink and wash it with warm water and dish soap and finaly rinse it thoroughly.

Blow it off with compressed air and then I coat it with WD40.

After each ride wash it off good and blow with compressed air. Then WD40 and use a chain brush. Then spin the wheel and run chain through a shop rag.

I have done this forever and its great. I tried chain waxes and all that stuff....a lot if it attracts dirt and sand. The WD 40 coating protects it from rust too.

Edited by mikerides33
  • Like 3

How does everyone keep their gold chain clean? I have never been able to keep it clean for long. I had better luck on a normal chain, but now I am running a gold o-ring. The outside face is just black. I tried to scrub the chain and it's still black. I am just curious what people do.

I'm also disappointed. My chain is 4 rides old and already showing rust. I had a wet nasty practice last Thursday and didn't clean/ lube it right away. It was just thrown into the garage and sat until today. (Gear too, damn was it nasty smelling). Anyways, I just didn't expect the Renthal chain to rust that easy.

A GOLD chain?  Damn son...... you livin' the high life! 

Edited by Honda_Power
  • Like 3

I clean my chain with kerosene you can buy it for cheap at walmart I soak it real good with a rag and then use a hose after soaking and scrubbing.

Once it's all off I use 10w30 to oil it I do this after every ride and chain looms like new

IMG_0646_zpsd71d46b6.jpg

Edited by Goobersbro
  • Like 2

Citrus cleaner and brush to scrub it, then hose it off, dry it off, WD40, silicone lube. 

old school,wash bike/chain, remove chain, drop in 5 gal bucket with 2 qts 30 w oil, let soak 4 hrs, exercise chain Hang verticle above bucket, let drip till AM. wipe down with rag, install, put cover back on 5 gal bucket for next use.

• Like 2

I let mine sit diesel fuel once in awhile for afew days.... take it out wipe it off and coat with abit of chain lube after ever ride...

if you don't get the stuff they put on from the factory off it will pickup more dirt than a dog rolling in chicken crap

Ya mine was bad when I first put it on but since my first cleaning it's been alot better...

Take chain off to clean?  Really?  Mine seems to get pretty clean when I pressure wash the bike.

• Like 3

I'm running a Regina o-ring.. use a brush on the chain every time I clean the bike, which is every ride.  If I don't clean the bike (which is rarely), then I still get a bucket of water and brush the chain off well. 

Then I use Heavy Duty Metal Protector, an Amsoil product like heavy duty WD 40.  It dries on like a waxy film, so it doesn't fling or attract dirt on the trail.  I have almost 80 hours on my o-ring chain of pretty hard enduro riding, I've replaced the Ironman countershaft twice, and spun a steel rear sprocket into somethin' that would make sharks jealous.. yet the chain is in fine shape (albeit with some wear).

Take chain off to clean? Really? Mine seems to get pretty clean when I pressure wash the bike.

I soak it while I have it off for other maintenance.....and I don't often wash my bike with a pressure washer and if I do it's just to get the heavy mud off the plastics and wheels.

How long does a chain last?  And how do you know when they should be replaced?  I can't possibly see any way how one can tell if a chain is on it's way out until it actually fails.

And sprockets too, how do you know when to change them?

Edited by Honda_Power

I bought a Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold X-Ring chain in July of last year for use on a well ridden KX250F for $65 and cleaned it with 4D-40 after every power wash.  Sprocket still looks new (aluminum, also Primary Drive, replaced with the chain) and absent a little cosmetic wear on the "gold" part, the chain looks good, too.  Hasn't required adjustment in as long as I can remember.  Maybe even since we put the thing on.  Will buy again, and will definitely stick to the WD-40 treatment.  No brushing, scrubbing, soaking or anything else.  

How long does a chain last?  And how do you know when they should be replaced?  I can't possibly see any way how one can tell if a chain is on it's way out until it actually fails.

And sprockets too, how do you know when to change them?

You should replace the chain and sprocket with every power band change.  Most chains have a stretch indicator on one of the links.  It used to be on the master link, but they switched protocols.  You should take your chain off, soak it in warm Dawn dishwashing detergent, and look for the indicator marks on the test link.  Baby powder helps to find the marks.  Just make sure the chain is dry before you apply the powder!  Made the mistake of powdering a wet chain once, and it was a mess.  Use a caliper to measure the distance between the two marks.  Usually a 1 mm change from baseline is when it's about to go.  The sprocket must be changed if more than 10 percent of the teeth are missing.  So, on a 50 tooth sprocket, replace it if 5 teeth are missing.  With the front sprocket, it is usually best to replace it after you lose the first tooth.  Hope that helps.

• Like 5