Sign in to follow this  

How to ride a 2 Stroke

Hey Guys

I've just got back on my 2 stroke after about 6 months and I was wondering if there is any difference between riding a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. Any advice on how to properly ride a 2 stroke would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers  :ride:

+1 on ronnie mac lol

what size 2 stroke? biggest difference to me is you cant just roll on the throttle like you can with a 4 stroke.

keep the rpms up with the clutch and that rear wheel spinning. youll learn it all with seat time, and find you can ride more aggressively and get away with more on a 2 stroke all while having more fun!

• Like 3

2 stroke? What's a 2 stroke?

Just watch out for that dam purple power band.

Edited by poconovfr
  • Like 3

+1 on ronnie mac lol

what size 2 stroke? biggest difference to me is you cant just roll on the throttle like you can with a 4 stroke.

keep the rpms up with the clutch and that rear wheel spinning. youll learn it all with seat time, and find you can ride more aggressively and get away with more on a 2 stroke all while having more fun!

I ride a 1998 CR250 and a 2010 CRF450R

• Like 2

I ride a 1998 CR250 and a 2010 CRF450R

just get used to how much harder that CR is gonna hit than your crf450 if its stock haha.

and your gonna have to get used to the vibrations that thing is gonna transmit to your hands!

just snap that clutch when you need power, and dont get lazy shifting, the 450 can pull 3rd and 4th around pretty much any track but the 250 doesnt rev very much and you are gonna need to shift it a lot more often. same thing if the bike starts to wheelie (which 2 strokes like to do :) ) slip the clutch a little to drop the front wheel and dont let off the throttle

• Like 2

just get used to how much harder that CR is gonna hit than your crf450 if its stock haha.

and your gonna have to get used to the vibrations that thing is gonna transmit to your hands!

just snap that clutch when you need power, and dont get lazy shifting, the 450 can pull 3rd and 4th around pretty much any track but the 250 doesnt rev very much and you are gonna need to shift it a lot more often. same thing if the bike starts to wheelie (which 2 strokes like to do :) ) slip the clutch a little to drop the front wheel and dont let off the throttle

How long do I let the bike sit for before I ride, because it sounds funny for a bit, but then runs smoothly. 

Like this:

Cheers for posting sweet video 

another good one 

Edited by shanes

How long do I let the bike sit for before I ride, because it sounds funny for a bit, but then runs smoothly. 

if you have an oem cast piston it doesnt take long to warm up, if you are running a forged wiseco or something, make sure the top of the rads and cyl are warm before you start whacking the throttle,

sounds funny? could be rich and loading up when your sitting there warming it up, is it hesitant to rev and sputters at first?

• Like 1

Like this. You can lug some of them.....A little. But mostly just keep RPM'S up and pointed where you want to go and HANG ON!!! Billy Goat Trail Section 1 5.18.14: http://youtu.be/c4Fglqd4Hz0

That looks like some real fun riding!

Thanks GOD for this crusty rock to ride on. :thumbsup::devil:

if you have an oem cast piston it doesnt take long to warm up, if you are running a forged wiseco or something, make sure the top of the rads and cyl are warm before you start whacking the throttle,

sounds funny? could be rich and loading up when your sitting there warming it up, is it hesitant to rev and sputters at first?

Yeah, I know the bikes already a little rich and when its not warm, it is a bit hesitant to rev.

Hey Guys

I've just got back on my 2 stroke after about 6 months and I was wondering if there is any difference between riding a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. Any advice on how to properly ride a 2 stroke would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :ride:

Wait until your 40 to get your first real bike. Bulk up to about 230. Go ahead and buy a 300XC so you aren't trading up later. Twist, hang on, fall over, get up, repeat...
  • Like 4

Hey Guys

Cheers  :ride:

Run Motul, so the smell of defeat isn't as bad as the taste.

• Like 1

Check this video out. 

How to Ride a 2 Stroke

I'm also new to 2 strokes, but my bike, a KTM 200 XCW, is very luggable. Unfortunately, it's not really an MX bike, but it does fine for a slow poke like me. 

I have the 200 EXC, I wouldn't call it a slowpokes bike although I'm a slowpoke.

To be honest it rips quicker than the communist scythe through the East.