Sign in to follow this  

Stripped Valve cover Bolt, What size Helicoil?

Hey guys, so I noticed this past week that oil was seeping through the gasket around the valve cover. Pulled all the plastics and the tank off and one of the three bolts that hold the valve cover on was just spinning pretty freely, not completely loose, but it will not torque down. 

I did some research and i looks like the valve cover bolts that thread into the head strip pretty easily, and I think that I may have done just that last week when I put in the MCCT and  checked my valve clearance. 

I read that the proper size is the M6 1.25 helicoil kit but just wanted to check here to see if anyone else has had to do this before I go and buy it. 

Thanks

I have read 8x1.25 and 6x1 for the helicoil size but this is the first i have heard of 7x1, is it possible the single bolt on the left side is 7x1 and the others are 6x1?

• Like 1

M7x1.0 pitch is less common than M6x1.0 and M8x1.25. But M7x1 is a standard metric fastener thread. Yes all 3 head cover bolts are the same thread size and pitch. And all 3 are shoulder bolts.  Just snug them down, no high torque.

M6x1.25 is listed on a thread chart, but not a common thread pitch for a 6mm fastner and I have never ever encountered it.

• Like 2