Sign in to follow this  

How to fix my bent handlebar/forks

So I basically laid my bike down only going like 10mph. When picked it back up I noticed that the fheel and fender angled right when I was holding the handlebar straight. Possible bent handlebar or twisted forks? Can someone please help me fix this. BTW new to the forum

• Like 1

So I basically laid my bike down only going like 10mph. When picked it back up I noticed that the fheel and fender angled right when I was holding the handlebar straight. Possible bent handlebar or twisted forks? Can someone please help me fix this. BTW new to the forum

Put it on the stand and loosen your triple tree bolts / fork clamps straighten and retighten . That should do it , bars are cheap if they are bent. Oh and welcome to TT :) 

Edited by Beau 88
  • Like 2

Loosen the bottom tripple clamps and compress the forks over and over and they'll straighten themselves. If you just eye straighten them then There's a good chance everything's not aligned and will bind up when riding

• Like 2

It takes a little more than 10MPH to bend your forks. It's probably just your triple out of whack and your bars are bent. Wouldn't hurt for you to post a picture of what you're looking at. :devil:

You must now wreck it the opposite side!

Straightening it right out!

• Like 2

This is pretty common.  Before losening up the triple clamps, it might just be the pinch bolts on the axle.  Loosen up all pinch bolts and axle nut, then tighten axle nut til axle starts spinning inside hub (if it does).  Tighten pinch bolts on nut side of axle only, then take bike offf bike stand, push up and down on forks to align the forks, and put back on the stand.  Now tighten down the other side pinch bolts.

If this doesn't help, try loosening up the triple tree as described.  Let us know what fixes it, thanks!

• Like 1

1. Loosen the front axle clamps, and the axle nut. 

2. Loosen the lower triple clamp bolts. 

3. Grab a handfull of front brake. Pump the forks up and down several times, pushing them as far down into the travel as you can. You'll feel the action get smoother as the tubes re-align themselves. 

4. Tighten the triple clamp bolts first. Use a torque wrench. Over-tightening these bolts by even a small amount distorts the tubes slightly, which will cause the bushings to pinch as the forks compress, causing a harsh mid-stroke spike in the fork action. Over-tightening these bolts by a lot will break the clamps. 

5. Tighten the axle by holding the nut and spinning the axle with a hex socket on a torque wrench. This will ensure that the axle is perfectly aligned in the forks. Always use a torque wrench. Over-tightening the axle will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

6. Tighten the axle clamps.

This method will ensure perfect fork tube alignment, which will in turn ensure correct front wheel alignment. If the wheel and fork tubes are still mis-aligned after this, then either a fork tube or a triple clamp is bent.

If you have rubber bar mounts, make sure they are tight and straight as well.

• Like 1

3. Grab a handfull of front brake. Pump the forks up and down several times, pushing them as far down into the travel as you can. You'll feel the action get smoother as the tubes re-align themselves. 

4. Tighten the triple clamp bolts first. Use a torque wrench. Over-tightening these bolts by even a small amount distorts the tubes slightly, which will cause the bushings to pinch as the forks compress, causing a harsh mid-stroke spike in the fork action. Over-tightening these bolts by a lot will break the clamps. 

5. Tighten the axle by holding the nut and spinning the axle with a hex socket on a torque wrench. This will ensure that the axle is perfectly aligned in the forks. Always use a torque wrench. Over-tightening the axle will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

This method will ensure perfect fork tube alignment, which will in turn ensure correct front wheel alignment. If the wheel and fork tubes are still mis-aligned after this, then either a fork tube or a triple clamp is bent.

I loosened all the triple bolts and put the front tire between my legs and that seemed to of pulled it back into place for the most part. Thanks for all the help guys

Lol who cares if its all aligned or not as long as it LOOKS straight right?

• Like 1

I've always just tightened the axle nuts with my HUGE wrench, lot's of power and torque behind my wrench.. lol

How many lbs of torque or NewtonMeters should put on the axle nuts?

I've always just tightened the axle nuts with my HUGE wrench, lot's of power and torque behind my wrench.. lol

My KX250 is 58 ft/lbs.

Or just check to see if your bar clamps are bent. That is common

For Honda CR/CRF the spec is 65 ft-lbs