What fat bars do I have (pic) trying to get hand guards

Yeah.. already have the mounts for the bar but can't figure out what hand guards were on it.. no name on them.. also heard that the aluminum bars are a little smaller on the inside diameter... the person I bought it from wasn't too knowledgeable about most things either, the owner before him installed almost all of the mods

After taking way to long to gather info about hand guards, I think I finally have my head wrapped around the subject. .. Usually I'm pretty good at Internet research ?

Anyways .. I'm an idiot, the clamps that are already on the bars look universal so I should be able to get any fat bar guards and modify them to work with the clamps...

I'll buy and put a caliper to the bar tomorrow. . If they are the 1 1/8 bars that would be great.

1400635132296.jpg

After taking way to long to gather info about hand guards, I think I finally have my head wrapped around the subject. .. Usually I'm pretty good at Internet research ?

Anyways .. I'm an idiot, the clamps that are already on the bars look universal so I should be able to get any fat bar guards and modify them to work with the clamps...

I'll buy and put a caliper to the bar tomorrow. . If they are the 1 1/8 bars that would be great.

I wouldn't buy a caliper just to measure the bar diameter. If you would use it for other stuff then go ahead and get one.

Try wrapping a string around the middle of the bar, mark were it meets, take it off and measure it. Then divide that number by pi (3.14159), that will be the diameter.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 1

I moved from Nebraska to colorado so I am far away from the plethora of tools at my dads ? I'm slowly starting to accumulate a decent tool setup for myself.. Plan on checking the valves in the winter as well

Eyeball can tell the difference between 1 1/8 and 1 3/8.  Hand guards will come with correct clamps for the bar and the ID if you order fat bar guards for 1 1/8 fat bar handlebars.  I don't know what you do if you have 1 3/8.  Never heard of or seen them.

• Like 1

I'm more concerned with why your riding with a quad!  ?  I sure hope your in front all day because those things make the dust of eight bikes per quad and they are slow. lol

Those are 1 1/8 bars and the pic with the hand guard is an ACERBIS brand and they suck.  They are soft and bend and rotate around the bars very easily on minor dirt naps, and have the smallest protection profile of all the hand guards on the market.  I would get the Cycra Probend with triple tree clamps or the Highway Dirtbikes setup if you want reliable stability. Just my opinion of course but I have thousands of miles of single track riding bashing trees and rocks along with many dirt naps to back what I am saying. Hope you find this info useful.

It's a 700 race quad so it keeps up ok on the wide stuff.

How can you tell they are 1 1/8 bars and not 1 3/8. Thanks been hearing good things about those bars in my searches..