Sign in to follow this  

LEEGG CRAAAMMPPS

Ok so after every time I ride I get terrible terrible worst pain I've ever had in my thighs and calfs they just freeze and lock I try running them out it works sometimes and I drink pickle juice after the ride too. I heard that works. But I just got them now and

I hopped to the fridge chugged pickle juice and ran around the house lol.. I just want them to stop completely and I do hydrate with like 3 bottles of water before the ride and after any advice

Try preparing ahead of your ride. Hydrate, eat right, make sure you get plenty of electrolytes. BEFORE you ride. Much easier to stay ahead than Chase after the pain. I have heard that bananas are good for cramps but dont know for sure.

• Like 2

I do all the pre pre hydrating etc and still get cramps,I tried drinking sports drinks and the electrolytes etc but it didn't work for me,I then tried taking magnesium tablets and it solved the problem,I hydrate like I should before the ride and a few days before the ride I will take the tablets twice daily.On the morning of the ride I will take a tablet before riding and then one tablet during the ride and I get no cramps and also no cramps at home after the ride

Edited by ozglenn

Drink 1/2 gallon of water each day for 5 days prior to riding. I run gatoraid and ice in my pack day of.

Then 3-4 bottles of water afterwards.

You're short on at least one electrolyte if you're having cramps. Muscles typically cramp because they have the sodium to contract, but lack sufficient potassium to relax. This is why bananas tend to help. And as mentioned, hydrating isn't just the day of. Most people don't drink enough on a daily basis, even if they think theye drinking a lot. If you're sweating and doing exercise you're going to become even more dehydrated and lose more electrolytes.

Try to make a daily habit of monitoring your water intake. Go buy a reusable water bottle (sports bottle, nalgene, whatever fits your style) and make a point of finishing off a bottle full by certain points of the day (once before you get to work, once before lunch break, etc). It seems like a pain in the a$$ at first but you'll get used to it, and not only will you feel better after rides, but you'll probably feel better in general, even if you think you feel good now.  

Also, if you have a camelbak or similar, try running Gatorade and water (I do 4:1 water:Gatorade). Gatorade alone has a lot of sugar and can dehydrate, but diluted helps restore electrolytes and tastes nicer than normal rubbery camelbak water  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I used to get leg cramps but I drink a lot of milk now and don't get them anymore.

I do all the pre pre hydrating etc and still get cramps,I tried drinking sports drinks and the electrolytes etc but it didn't work for me,I then tried taking magnesium tablets and it solved the problem,I hydrate like I should before the ride and a few days before the ride I will take the tablets twice daily.On the morning of the ride I will take a tablet before riding and then one tablet during the ride and I get no cramps and also no cramps at home after the ride

Same here!

Try Hyland's Leg Cramp pills from Wal-Mart. I was very skeptial(as I have tried almost everything), but they seem to work. Tonic water also helps. Quinine seems to be the common ingredient. Tonic water contains quinine and the leg cramp pills contain the root that quinine is extracted from.

Order a product called "sport legs" I believe it tricks your body into burning lactic acid while you ride so it doesn't buildup in you muscles afterwards.

I, too would sure like to find the culprit.  No one has been able to help me either.

Here is my particular story: I positively never had cramps in my life unless I was dehydrated from the flu or something, but I got very ill from some kind of sinus/ear infection over 2yrs ago, lost 26lbs in 27 days, had no appetite, painful earache, etc.

Got truly well after a year of up and down, but I still have some side effects that I have NOT been able to get rid of, one of them being how my muscles will immediately cramp.

No matter how much water that I drink, vitamins, supplements, etc, if I clench any muscle of my body, it will almost immediately go into a cramp and not relax.  My calves will cramp so badly that I stand on my toes like a ballerina, and they will not release for some time.

If I even reach backwards and scratch my back with my thumb, then my shoulder and upper back muscles cramp.

After putting in some hard motos, I can be sitting still resting, and my calves and/or inner thighs just start drawing up, and sure friggin hurt.  It is sometimes hours later that they will spontaneously cramp, or even in the middle of the night.  If I am driving home from the track, I have to pull off the highway quick, or I cannot even work the pedals.

NO body, doctors included, can find anything wrong with my blood tests, but my external symptoms look like my body is refusing to become completely hydrated.  My skin is dry, thin and wrinkled, lips dry and peeling, and if you pinch me, the skin slowly flattens out instead of immediately like it did before I got sick.

And no matter how much I stretch, my muscles are always very tight, whereas before I was always exceptionally flexible.  My hamstrings are probably the worst of them all.

My ears constantly ring loudly like an old tube-type TV on mute, too.   WTH?!

I have gradually ran out of money to "try" any more doctors or tests, they only want to spend 30sec with me anyway, prescribe a bunch of tests, and then vanish from the room like a ghost, and too bad if I had any questions.  Then once they do read the test results, they just clearly do not know, and make it clear that the ball is in my as to what I want to do---??

Got a really bad taste for these E-TX doctors, they either just do not care or flat out just "parts changers/prescription-writers", NOT true diagnosticians.

Anyone got any advice it is certainly appreciated.  I have always taken good care of myself, and now this...I am 45yrs old and not on a single medicine, btw.  I have really bad allergies, but take nothing for it, I seem to do just as well by merely watching what I eat and living healthily.

Try drinking half a bottle of pedialyte the night before and the day of riding. It's packed with electrolytes and available at grocery stores.