Sign in to follow this  

Weird Neutral Position?

So I bought my first bike, a 2009 KTM 250 Sx, and so far it's been a learning experience to say the least. I'm familiar with with wrenching bc I've raced Atvs all my life but this is a new one to me. The bikes neutral

is between 3rd-4th not the 1st-2nd where I would think it should be. Bike shifts perfect and there doesn't seem to be any problem other than the neutral position location and it's a pain to find, being use to 1-2. So what's the deal? Or is that where it's suppose to be and I'm just a dummy? Thanks for the help guys.

The nuetral should be between 1st n 2nd....Although on some KTMs nuetral can be hard to find...

It's weird. I've played with it over and over but there is nothing between 1 and 2.

remove the right side large case. In there you will fond the shift star mechanism-it has a roller and star shape indent piece. It has come loose on some bikes, the roller may be bad or a spring may be broken. You may have to remove the entire clutch hub for some of these fixes.

Ehhhh that's no go but could always be worse. Thanks a lot Mike

This is a simple fix. The shift star works with a spring-loaded follower to position the shift drum. The star, which is bolted to the end of the shift drum, has come loose or has been installed incorrectly.  There is a positioning lug on the end of the drum and a slot in the star that have to match up.  Probably the bolt has come loose and the star has shifted relative to the drum.  For neutral, one of the points of the star is notched so that the follower stops the drum between first and second gear and, in this position, no gears are engaged.  In your case, the neutral notch is positioned between 3rd and 4th, so, two positions off.  Since the star is not properly seated it is, almost surely, rubbing against the shift mechanism, causing more damage.  All you have to do is remove the right side case cover and (I believe) the clutch.  If the star and other parts are not too damaged, you just need to position it properly and bolt it on.  Be sure to clean it and use Loctite to prevent it from coming loose again.  It's a couple of hours work and if you don't fix it, it will probably get worse. A life-long ATV racer who is familiar with wrenching should be able to handle it.

Edited by Alfonzo
  • Like 2

Well I was planning on getting into in today so all the info I've got so far is better than I could have hoped for. Gives me a great starting point at least. I'll let y'all know what I find when I get in there.

I'm this far into right now. It's a bit wore but I'll prolly end up replacing the star assembly. Now before I pull it out how do I know where it should be to be a 1st N 2nd. Is there gonna be an arrow notch or something alone that lines? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400798484.556428.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400798515.373435.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400798533.135220.jpg

Guy I bought it from was being truthful about the Hinson basket though ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400798623.851370.jpg

When you take the bolt out, the star assembly will come off the end of the drum.  On the back, there is an offset slot that fits into a tab on the shift drum.  It only fits one way but you have to be sure its fully seated.  You can look up the parts fiche at Rocky Mountain or Cheap Cycle Parts.  I somehow did it wrong once and had the same problem you described so i know it can happen.

Done and fixed. Although I prolly gotta take it back apart bc when I reassembled it. I forgot to push the lock nut on the shaft back against the nut. Thanks for the informative help. You're a life saver.

No problem.  You're talking about the bent lock washer on the clutch shaft?  At least you can do that without taking the whole side case off and draining the oil or coolant.

Yep that's the one. It was a lot better than what I thought it was gonna be for sure.