Sign in to follow this  

Second Gear Whine 96 XR600

So I have a 96 XR600R and ever since i bought it, its had a whine in second gear and only second. It makes a whining sound like straight cut gears make. Say for example when you change ur v8 engine from a timing chain to a gear drive to get that gear whine? It only has 11,000kms on it. My old xr250 and my dads xr400 did the same thing so I thought maybe its just how they are but just thought i'd get some other opinions before i go cracking it open since its going so bloody well at the moment.

Cheers.

the trans has straight cut gears in it........these are noted for 3rd gears eating themselves to death,,not so much 2nd gears though,but it`s possible..........how loud is the whine,,you should barely hear it ..

B

No gear should sound different than the others. Listen closly and make sure you just not hearing different sounds because of loading differences and changing ambient noise with different speeds.

The bad third gear I'n mine could be felt through the pegs as a growl if I was riding at the lower end of speed for that gear, but no so much if I rode faster. Mine had pitting on the teeth and if I had kept riding it the gear would eventually start shedding chunks and cause a lot more problems.

hows the oil look? You have a magnet somewhere? You dont want steel circulating everywhere.

Well it's nearly due for an oil change so ill do one this weekend because I'm not riding this weekend, the only magnet i have is on the drain plug on the motor. I can hear it clearly while riding low and midway through second but cant feel any difference through the bars or pegs or anything. What kind of magnets can you get for them and where do you put them?

So the latest update on the whining..... I decided to pull the motor out and split the casing and check it all out. Bad news..... the 2nd gear GEAR on the mainshaft is completely shagged and the gear on the contershaft not much better hence the loud whining so we got it before it got catastrophic lol. Also the 3rd gear GEAR on the mainshaft also had flaking on 3 teeth. AAANNNDDD we also noticed whoever the idiot was that did the top end rebuild on the big girl when she decided to suck the choke plate down her guts, didnt fit the piston rings properly! Instead of having the compression ring gaps 180 degrees apart they were together! Which left a score mark in the bore so new rings and a barrel hone, three new gears and a good flush and she will live to fight another day!!!!

Now would be a good time to instal a XR650L first gear (Lower than the current first) and NX650 second gear (Lower than the current one and closes the 1-2 gap). If you ride tight trails, you may really like the lower 1-2 gears, which means you can keep the stock size sprockets for top speed, but get lower gearing where it matters.

I done just that on my XR600R engine. I use it for road use too though so I installed the taller NX650 fifth gear and use a 15T front sprocket. I also switched to the XR650L primary gears (Part of the HRC kit?), so my overall gearing is a good bit taller.

Edited by Onederer

I had thought about it but I hardly ever ride tight trails. My sprocket setup is 14t front and 51t rear so 1st and 2nd are perfect for what i do. But once the bike is back together I will be getting it registered and riding it to work daily.

LATEST UPDATE!!

Engine is freshly rebuilt and ready to go back in the bike and go for a ride! Fresh top end rebuild, head and rings, three new gears in the transmission so no more whining and all new gaskets..... AND a rebuilt carby and all the jets and mixture screw set to where they should be. I cant wait to take the big girl for a spin.

• Like 1

My big girl is alive and kicking.... hard haha. Just waiting on mates to come back from holidays to go for a ride although might just take it out on my own. The throttle response is alot better and noticeably more torque and power with fresh rings and rebuilt carby.