New Member says hello and a few ?s

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike I live in Phoenix and I just recently bought my very first dirt bike (2004 yz250f) at the tender young age of 38 (better late than never right).  I also got my 9 year old boy and my 19 year old girl each there own red dirt bikes that we prolly don't talk about in this area of the forums.  Just a couple of questions

1) I have a bracket on my bike for a kickstand but there is no metal rod just the bracket. I would really like to have a kickstand but don't want to spend 100 bucks on it so Im looking for bikes that are being parted out.  Im assuming a wr250f of the same year would probably work.  but what about other bikes?  Could someone please measure there WR250f kickstand and tell me how long it is?

2) The bike I bought is tremendously loud, and no Im not that old, I like a little growl in my exhaust but this is truly ridiculous.  It has DRD exhaust system and Im not sure if the young gentleman that I purchased it from has removed some baffles or something from within.  Nevertheless I don't think this DRD has a spark arrestor in it.  Where can I get one? I have looked around and I just see a spark arrestor for the newer style DRD silencer but not this one.  Maybe I should buy a new silencer.  Does anyone like there fmf powercore 4 on this bike? 

Thanks for your help people and I will talk to you later. :ride:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the kick stand, a WR will work if you weld a tab on the frame.  One of the holes, lower one, lines up with existing roller bracket..

On DR D muffler, yes they are somewhat loud, but you can re-pack it and that helps quite a bit. on the spark arrestor, some other brand screens will work.  In a pinch, I've actually gone to the grocery store and gone to the cooking utensil section and gotten a stainless steel strainer that has close mesh screen and cut that out and shaped it and used that.  $5.00 fix.  Last one I did 5 years ago is still working.

Edited by ronbuell

I got muffler repacked it seemed to help a little.  Still can't seem to locate a kickstand.  Or even the length of WR250 kickstand.

Ron you mentioned other spark arrestors screens from a different brand would work.  Could you tell me which brand?  FMF? Yoshi? etc

Thanks for your help guys.  I will post pics soon too.  I will also put some pics up of my kids bikes as well.

My Dr D endcap has 3 bolt holding it on.  Any cone screen can be made to fit.  I have even gone to the grocery store and bought a close mesh stainless steel screen strainer and used those with success.  You can't use a wide mesh, doesn't capture sparks.  It is possible to apply that mod to the stock muffler by drilling out the pop rivits and removing the end cap, and adding the screen between the end cap and core.

Cleaned the carb today and replaced the spark plug.  Got the beast running.  messed with airfuel mixture and then the idle, the bike seems pretty responsive.  Got the fat boy springs in and all the fluids changed.  Valves were checked and in spec.  Im getting ready to ride.  To bad its 111 degrees today  ?  I can't believe I got all those little carb pieces back together on the first try.  Im not really a mechanical person but Im learning.  I need to post a pic of the float bowl gasket, to see if you guys would replace it.  Thursday Im getting a new head pipe and silencer, the drd silencer noise is ridiculous even after repacking.  oh I forgot I got new tires and tubes.  I love the new hairs on my tires.  I don't want to wear them off.       

could someone please tell me how to post a picture

Yeah,

Click down in reply section.  Next to the RED POST in lower right is More Reply Options... click that.

Now look at the bottom on the left side !!!

There's a box where you can Browse your pc, search and click on the file to attach.  When you click on your file, you still have to click Attach This File in box below and to left of Browse.

That last part took me a while to see it.

Well after i made that post i went out back in the garage, and of course I was leaking gas from the carb.  Guess I answered my own question about the float bowl gasket. Time to order a new one.

2nd picture is that stupid TPS it took me 40 minutes to break that thing apart, it was filled with dirt.  Does this get dirty often?  Do I need this thing?

3rd picture,  not sure if I was supposed to clean this race car looking thing found in my carb but I did.  One of the wheels kept falling off, is that gonna be a problem later?

0602142004.jpg

0531142051.jpg

0602142105a.jpg

Yep, that plug will get dirt in it, and they are a PITA to get apart.  All of them are.

On the throttle, the wheel is not a big prob, just slide it back on.

The slide, part with wheels, can go in backwards, and so can the seal.  It won't run right that way, so be sure you put those back correctly.

Good Luck

Another question?

I see the o ring mod might help with a little hesitation with the throttle.  If I was to do it, do the o rings get stretched after a while and break or become useless?  If so how long we talking?

Ok thanks longerdeeper and ron you guys have been very helpful.

Now for another question

My bike had DRD complete system on it.  I have recently purchased a powerbomb (used) and Lexx silencer (new) with midpipe.  My question has to do with the header.  I was given header, springs, and steel insert (ebay purchase) but its not like the DRD.  The DRD has a larger "spout" on the end that allows the flange to tighten the pipe.  This powerbomb has no spout.  What can I do to make it fit.   FYI it is a powerbomb off of yz250f 2003, I have a 2004 if that makes a difference, but I hope not.

In think the older Dr Ds are unique to Dr D.  They allow for a tight "slip-fit" at the mid-pipe section for easier maintenance.  Some of the other brands use springs to hold things together... aka street bike configuration.  They are just different ways of doing the same thing.  You need to use the matched set and not mix-match.  You can get leaks and ill fitting parts if you do that.

As for year / fit, my son's 02 did fit my 03 bike, but the mid pipe was right under the shock reservoir.  You have to leave the system loose at the head on the first trial fitting so you can rotate it some for best fit.  Just a little patience and twisting will have it perfect in no time.  03 04 05  YZshould be the same interchangable.  06 YZ is first year aluminum frame and I don't thing that will fit steel frame bikes.

Edited by ronbuell

Im confused...  The first pic is the new pipe and is all that I have to work with.  The flange is bigger than the one I just took off.  The second pic is what I had on the bike and I can't get the smaller flange off.    If I put the new pipe on and bolt flange to engine, attach spings to flange will it stay in place?  the flange diameter is so large I can slip the pipe and the steel insert right through.  Am I overthinking this, do i need a smaller flange?.

I have no instructions.  So from left to right it goes, copper gasket, steel insert, pipe, flange then springs right?

header pipe2.jpg

headerpipe1.jpg