Sign in to follow this  

my '02 XR250R

Hi all, I've been lurking for a month or so, since I got this bike and needed more info. So this is kind of an intro as well as a place for me to post a couple of pics, question and ideas, and maybe a rant or 2.

The story on this bike is a local, small time used car lot took it in trade from the original owner after only a couple of rides. Evidently it was more bike than was expected. The car lot owner kept it, rode it and wrecked it hard on the pavement. After he healed he started having kids and only rode it a few times in over 10 years. It was bone stock except for the handlebars, original tires, chain and sprockets, he even put OEM Honda grips on the new bars.

I paid $1500 because the carb was a little gummed up and it was starting hard and running a little rough.

IMG00025-20140519-1849-e.jpg

The pic is from tonight after a nice 1 1/2 hr cruising the FS and state roads near me.

She's running pretty good now, but still needs the carb rebuilt. I've got the kit, but I'm waiting on some bigger main jets. Also have a new air filter, already pulled the airbox lid and cleaned the exhaust. And planning to drill the muffler tip when I do the carb and filter.

I think I want a little more top end  :thumbsup:  so have a 45T sprocket to try too.

more later :cool:

Edited by NCSteve

Since the bike had fresh oil and filter, I had a couple of easy rides around the property the first day.

First thing was to sort the carb. I noticed fuel flow was low in the On position, but normal in Reserve spot. Drained the tank and pulled the petcock to find that stupid, plastic strainer falling apart and the valve gummed up. Tried soaking it (couldn't wait overnight!) but no joy, so first $100: new OEM petcock, strainer and o-ring, plus enough other stuff to get free shipping :rolleyes:  In the meantime pulled the float bowl and cleaned it all up. So I could keep riding while waiting on the parts I installed new fuel line and in-line filter.

Now with new parts, including a new NGK Iridium plug, and a few tanks of 93 octane, 100% gas there's only a slight stumble at the start of the mid-range and maybe a little lean WFO.

Fuel, air and exhaust flow is my first upgrade and the main jets should arrive today.

Can't wait to get her breathing and burning better, but gotta take care of biz first. It's tough because I can see her out the kitchen door waiting, calling my name ;)

Along the way I gave her a quick check end to end. Found all seemed well, so had a couple of nice rides before spending an afternoon checking bearings and axles, cleaning, lubing, torqueing, etc. I haven't done the swingarm yet, but no squeeks or scraping and moves smoothly. Def planning to clean and lube the rear end soon though and rebuild shock and linkage is on the list.

The obvious issues at this point were that the shock was beating me up and that the front end tended to plow in the turns. The fork oil looked good and was at stock height, but the shock was cranked way up. I set the rear to sag right and the compression and rebound much softer to suit my 160lbs (72.5 K) and riding conditions.

The results were much better tracking at speed on the dirt and gravel roads I run, front end sticking better in the turns (4th gear!) and predictable slides most of the time.

Of course I was looking at my tires too. Like I said stock, so K490 front and K695 rear. The rear is seriously worn and wasn't ever a very good tire in my experience. I just got a 110/80 T63 to replace it. The front though I remembered was actually a very good hard surface tire and mine still has some dimple left on the knobs.

IMG00026-20140519-1911-e.jpg

I had picked up some extra tubes and bead tape, so removed the the tire, quick rim trueing, cleaning, new tube, etc and now think I can live with this tire for the time being. With the nice, new Dunlop tube I'm running 10lbs up front too, instead of 12 or more to avoid flats.

2nd $100: rear tire, tubes, etc.

3rd $100: rubber-tipped shifter, carb rebuild kit, main jets, some o-rings and exhaust sleeve and gasket.

cheers

Ack! Partzilla order (main jets +) placed 11 May, shipped 21 May! WTF? I was expecting that one delivered yesterday :(

Ack! Partzilla order (main jets +) placed 11 May, shipped 21 May! &%$#@!? I was expecting that one delivered yesterday :(

Yep, my last two orders each took two weeks.  

Ack! Partzilla order (main jets +) placed 11 May, shipped 21 May! &%$#@!? I was expecting that one delivered yesterday :(

Yep, my last two orders each took two weeks.  

Just went through this with gnarlyparts.ca

After 15 days of waiting I called their 1-800. The response I got was "oh yeah it's sitting on the shipping table waiting to go out. It will be sent out today"

We shall see...

Well, I guess we're spoiled these days. I know I am; I want my stuff now. They should post a disclaimer saying how slow they are, I'd be less irritated at least.

Ordered some OEM from RM, plus enough other stuff to get free shipping, ordered Sunday, arrived Wed!

The prices are good at Partzilla, but the website/cart is lame and taking a week to ship sux!

I need those jets to do Gordon's mod's, but looks like that will have to wait until I get back home in mid-June :(

Score! One of the few items I found yesterday at Tractor Supply not made in China was this nice, old-school oil can.

IMG00028-20140521-1911-e.jpg

It's made in Nebraska, holds 16oz and it's my fav color ;) One peeve of mine is with all the over-priced, toxic, airosol crap I need to keep my tractor/trucks/bikes/lawnmower/chainsaw/weedeater/tiller working rust free. I buy gallons of most stuff and use pump bottles. Been lubing my chain with 80-90w straight from the bottle, but this will be much better and looks good on the bench.

cheers

Update on the partzilla order is it arrived today, one day after I got the shipping notice.

Had my first ride with T63 rear tire and 45T sprocket and am liking it so far. Planning on a thorough thrashing this afternoon to be sure.

2014-05-25_09-41-31_597-e.jpg

First impression is the smaller sprocket (48 to 45T) with the stock chain length has increased the wheelbase by @ an inch and improved handling at speed and maybe tracking in turns too.

The T63 tire seems to hook up very well on my hard pack and gravel road. Looking forward to getting back into the woods to see how it handles that. Also, it's 110/80-18 (stock is 100/100-18), so 10mm wider and @ 10mm shorter theoretically. My old tire was at @ 30-40%, so difficult to compare, but the T63 does look wider and slightly low-profile.

I got a cheap, steel sprocket to try 45T. If I decide I like it, next $100 ($150!) is all new sprockets and chain.

Enjoy the ride

After 3 rides and @ 100 miles the T63 is still looking pretty good.

IMG00044-20140526-2032-e.jpg

&%$#@!? Something changed here or is it me? Whatever! It ain't workin'.

So with 12 psi (110/80-18 with standard IRC tube) the T63 hooks up very well in the gravel, hard pack and dry loose stuff. Hold on and say please, please, please in the mud and slippery stuff. It's very predictable and controllable most of time. On the fire roads I can slow down and track through the turns in 4th (clutch it!), or downshift to 3rd and power slide or brake slide. All controlled by throttle, brakes and clutch and gear, just like it's supposed to. It's pretty good on grass and intermediate, but gotta' say I wish it wasn't so sketchy when it gets wet.

Maybe 10 psi...or 8? UHD tube?

Overall, I'm happy. I wanted a tire that is tough enough for gravel and hard pack and would get me to the trail head.

I'll keep looking for a rear with better overall performance that still does well on my gravel and dirt roads.

Next is to replace the original K490 front. Guess I'll try Dunlop's MX71, which seems to be similar, or maybe the MH3?

Tire quest! Any input much appreciated.

cheers

A few stormy afternoons here, so decided to do the basic Gordon mods and a much needed carb rebuild.

31may14-e.jpg

I def need a new carb, but in the meantime installed a complete rebuild kit and a new float and a 135 main jet. Also installed a Uni filter, drilled 2 holes (for now) in the muffler tip and replaced the resistor in the plug cap with a piece of solid copper. Cleaned and checked the rear end too and happy to say all is tight and smooth.

The bike is running really well with just a slight roughness on the very bottom, great midrange and smooth through the top. 

I'm liking the 13/45 gearing even more with the motor breathing better. 1st and 2nd are still plenty low enough, 3rd gear is great from bottom to top, I'm pulling 4th easily through a lot of the turns on the twisty, fast roads and found my current limit about half way through 5th when she starts to get squirrelly on gravel.

What else worked was improving the rear T63 performance by dropping pressure to 10psi and increasing rear spring preload @ 1/2". Its still great on the gravel and hard pack and now better in the woods trails, but still have to gear up and carefully motor through the wet parts.

more later

Well, it's only as clean as I could get it in an afternoon, not completely clean. The slide and bore are scratched and the PO stripped the linkage mounting screw and a few others.

This bike sat for many years and the fuel system was gunked up from end to end.

It's working ok now, but I'd love the improved performance and reliability of a better carb.

Well, it's only as clean as I could get it in an afternoon, not completely clean. The slide and bore are scratched and the PO stripped the linkage mounting screw and a few others.

This bike sat for many years and the fuel system was gunked up from end to end.

It's working ok now, but I'd love the improved performance and reliability of a better carb.

Just cleaned my carb up last weekend, it was as gunked up as yours. I used a 50/50 mixture of pine-sol and water. Took everything apart and soaked it for 4-6 hours while I drank beer in the sun. Rinsed in water and blew out all the passages with the compressor. Just waiting for a gasket kit to get it back together, good as new

Just waiting for a gasket kit to get it back together, good as new

The problem is new was not that good. Been replacing Keihins with Mikunis since '78! :) Not racing anymore, so just looking for smooth and clean performance. The low end stumble is minimal after some pilot jet/fuel screw fine tuning. Still wondering how much better she'd run with a nice pumper though. 

The PineSol is a good trick though, thanks.

I used a pipe cleaner and custom Jetted the main jet to like a 135-136. Stock was 132. Left the pilot alone. Haven't had any problems yet

I used a pipe cleaner and custom Jetted the main jet to like a 135-136. Stock was 132. Left the pilot alone. Haven't had any problems yet

You used a pipe cleaner for what? Glad the custom jets worked for ya. Been there, but now it's too easy, most of the time, just to order what's needed.