Sign in to follow this  

2008 klx450 help - Electrical/Wiring

Hey,

My mate has a 2008 klx450 which I am wiring up for road use.

Can someone tell me if one component is not working (i.e. Indicator), will everything not work?

I had one a year or so ago but never had it for long enough to wire up the road going gear.

I suspect his speedo / odo display is not working. Would this stop the indicators, brake lights, etc from not working?

how did you wire the indicators and the brake light?  The bike doesn't come with either, however there is a power lead to the center console.  Is the console working?

how did you wire the indicators and the brake light?  The bike doesn't come with either, however there is a power lead to the center console.  Is the console working?

The aussie spec bikes are road legal so they come from the factory with everything wired up,it's quite common for these speedos to stop working,I just never bothered replacing mine when it went kaput about a month after buying it brand new,it shouldn't stop other stuff from working,my guess is the wiring was butchered when stuff was originally removed from the bike,You should really get a hold of the aussie spec wiring diagram to see if it's wired properly

When my display stop working, I am pretty sure the tail light still worked. You can look it up in the schematics.

The problem with my display was a broken wire in the harness near the headset from all the flexing the harness does when you turn.

• Like 1

Last night after I got home from work I started tracing wires back. I managed to get the tail/brake light working and I pulled the Speedo display apart and found there was a tiny corroded bit covering two joins so cleared that and cleaned everywhere else in there and luckily it fixed that.

Is there any way to test the indicators work at the handlebar switch? 
I'm starting to think all the wiring is fine and its the factory switch on the handlebars thats not working.

Also are the speedo units meant to illuminate?

Its working and everything reads clear but the back ins't lighting up so just wondering how that goes at night time, can you read it in the dark?

That's a cool mod, probably something I should try on something of my own and not a mates lol.

Does anyone have a 3 pin plug with brown, orange/white, and orange?

I think I'm missing a part of the loom it connects to? Hoping this is why I have no indicators.

Does anyone have a flasher unit on theirs?
(I think thats what this 3 pin plug goes to)

No illumination for it,but there is someone who posted on here about doing a backlight mod for it,which you can find here...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1065610-oem-klx450r-speedo-back-light-mod/

Sorry Glen but they are back lit as i just rpl thwe bulb because i broke it.

When my display stop working, I am pretty sure the tail light still worked. You can look it up in the schematics.

The problem with my display was a broken wire in the harness near the headset from all the flexing the harness does when you turn.

Just had the same issue. Took me for ever to find it but all good now.

Problem solved, the three wire plug that lead no-where and wasn't in any wiring manual lead to the flasher unit. I don't have one to put on there so bridged the wires and it illuminates the indicators but doesn't make them blink. (For anyone who is having a similar problem in Australia and can't find a wiring diagram for Australian Model).

Sorry Glen but they are back lit as i just rpl thwe bulb because i broke it.

Just had the same issue. Took me for ever to find it but all good now.

Bugger, mine was never backlit from new,only lasted a month before it crapped itself anyway

Bugger, mine was never backlit from new,only lasted a month before it crapped itself anyway

Yeah it was a ADR mod they just drilled a hole in the back of the unit and stuck an extra light in it (same as the Nuetral/hi beam,indicater light)