Sign in to follow this  

There goes the shim

I was changing out the shims after my big bore/cam/exhaust/carb upgrade and I dropped my shim. I'm pretty sure it went down into the cam chain shaft, but I'm not 100% sure. (I haven't found it on the garage floor). I pulled the right side cover and searched for over two hours. I haven't been able to find it with a mirror, telescopic magnet, or shaking the bike.

Anyone run into this issue? I really don't feel like disassembling the entire engine. I have to find it before I proceed.

Pull the cams out and drop the chain down into the bottom end, the shim might be hung up on it somewhere

Pull the cams out and drop the chain down into the bottom end, the shim might be hung up on it somewhere

Already done that.

You can either pray it didn't fall in there (had this happen once, eventually found it on my workbench like a month later)

Or pull the motor, drop the oil, remove the side covers, flush with diesel (if it's in there it's all sticky from the oil) and shake the hell out of it

Get some good lights in there and check everywhere for it.

The frame has some good hiding spots.

If you're 100% positive it's in the crankcase.

Keep fishing around in there for it.

Alas, you might end up ripping it apart.

So that's why e Marquez recommends stuffing clean, lint free rags into the open engine areas. Saved me from a world of &!&@!

• Like 1