Sign in to follow this  

350 EXC Substantial power upgrades

I own a 2013 EXCF and want to get some more power out of it being a heavier rider (220lbs). So far I have:

• Akropovic Slip on muffler
  • EU map
  • Fully de restricted

Im thinking of further upgrades and would like to know if anyones done any of these and what their results were:

• SX intake cam: Im told that the 2012 cam is the nest one to get, I have no idea why!
  • Taking a layer off the head gasket to increase compression
  • Port and polish of the head/flowed head
  • FMF snap
  • SX piston: really not sure f necessary

Thanks in advance of your replies

Jeremy

AFAIK changing cams just changes where the power comes on and does not give you more.   Increasing compression will add hp and is ok if you can always run high octane fuel.  Porting and polishing a modern KTM motor may yield some increases but I bet it's pretty good from the factory. 

My free opinion?  Sell the 350 and get the 500.  There is no replacement for displacement and you'll spend just as much on motor mods and you will wind up with less reliability.

Edited by never mind
  • Like 3

Thumper Racing 390 kit. Haven't tried it myself but hear good things. No affiliation.

Edited by PBDBLUE

Unless you enjoy the process of modifying motors, I vote for selling the 350 and getting a 500. Trying to get a ton of power from a 350 would be the same as buying a v6 truck and spending $5k on the supercharger upgrade, when upgrade to a v8 is only $2k. If modifying the motor is part of your fun, then buy the big bore kit and enjoy. :)

Edited by sirthumpalot

I own a 2013 EXCF and want to get some more power out of it being a heavier rider (220lbs). So far I have:

• Akropovic Slip on muffler
  • EU map
  • Fully de restricted
Im thinking of further upgrades and would like to know if anyones done any of these and what their results were:

• SX intake cam: Im told that the 2012 cam is the nest one to get, I have no idea why!
  • Taking a layer off the head gasket to increase compression
  • Port and polish of the head/flowed head
  • FMF snap
  • SX piston: really not sure f necessary

Thanks in advance of your replies

Jeremy

When you say you need more power what type of riding are you noticing the loss in power from?

+1 on what sirthump said. I made a thread similar to yours a year ago OP. Ended up selling the 350 and getting the 500. What a difference, sure on tight tight technical stuff the 350 has a slight advantage, but after 5-10mph the 500 is every bit as nimble. And your only a sprockets change away from all the power you can handle.

+1 on what sirthump said. I made a thread similar to yours a year ago OP. Ended up selling the 350 and getting the 500. What a difference, sure on tight tight technical stuff the 350 has a slight advantage, but after 5-10mph the 500 is every bit as nimble. And your only a sprockets change away from all the power you can handle.

Before you decide to off the 350. I would like to know why you think you need more power? I myself have the same bike plus I have 20 lbs on your 220. With The gear and mods I have done I do not find a lack of power.

Before you decide to off the 350. I would like to know why you think you need more power? I myself have the same bike plus I have 20 lbs on your 220. With The gear and mods I have done I do not find a lack of power.

I sold my 350 a while ago. OP is the one with the 350 still. But with the 350 I was disappointed with the lack of off idle power. Every time I whipped around a sharp turn and hit a steep or long climb head on with out a running start, I was had to scream first gear and work clutch. Or if a hill suddenly got a little steeper up top, the 350 would require an immediate downshift. And on loose rocks, or rutted areas it made things worse. And in loose sand or silt climbs, you really felt the loss of low end power.

I sold my 350 a while ago. OP is the one with the 350 still. But with the 350 I was disappointed with the lack of off idle power. Every time I whipped around a sharp turn and hit a steep or long climb head on with out a running start, I was had to scream first gear and work clutch. Or if a hill suddenly got a little steeper up top, the 350 would require an immediate downshift. And on loose rocks, or rutted areas it made things worse. And in loose sand or silt climbs, you really felt the loss of low end power.

What kind of gearing and mods did you do?

If you want any kind of power from the bike a desmog, tps adjustment, remap or tuner is required. If you want that power to be usable

You have to hear the bike to your type of riding.

Loose sand or silty climbs don't require down low torque they need too end scream ability. If your running low gearing you are never going to achieve this.

Likewise with rocky steep uphills if your geared to tall you going to have to work the clutch to get up.

I weigh 240 lbs. I have my bike geared 13/50. I have desmoged, adjusted the tps, swapped the stock pipe for the sx version and run the jd tuner.

I can run the loose sandy stuff and still play the single track game plus on the long steep uphills I only require little clutch effort. I can easily fix that with the addition of a rekluse if I wanted it to do it for me.

I also want to add that I will be swapping the piston for

A hi comp version when it is due for a little extra gain.

Those mods are easy to do and will cost you less then the loss of switching bikes to a 500. Even if you think that's not going to be enough your problems can be solved by just running the 390 big bore kit......still less money.

What kind of gearing and mods did you do?

If you want any kind of power from the bike a desmog, tps adjustment, remap or tuner is required. If you want that power to be usable

You have to hear the bike to your type of riding.

Loose sand or silty climbs don't require down low torque they need too end scream ability. If your running low gearing you are never going to achieve this.

Likewise with rocky steep uphills if your geared to tall you going to have to work the clutch to get up.

I weigh 240 lbs. I have my bike geared 13/50. I have desmoged, adjusted the tps, swapped the stock pipe for the sx version and run the jd tuner.

I can run the loose sandy stuff and still play the single track game plus on the long steep uphills I only require little clutch effort. I can easily fix that with the addition of a rekluse if I wanted it to do it for me.

I also want to add that I will be swapping the piston for

A hi comp version when it is due for a little extra gain.

Those mods are easy to do and will cost you less then the loss of switching bikes to a 500. Even if you think that's not going to be enough your problems can be solved by just running the 390 big bore kit......still less money.

The mods don't cost less than going to a 500. Maybe if you got ripped from the dealer than yes. I paid only a few hundred difference between my 350 and 500 and that's only cause I got a smoking deal on the 13' 350 exc (9.9k otd) in July of 2012. And when I bought my 14' 500exc in October of 2013, I only paid a few hundred more (which wasn't bad as it came with a fan which cost $150 to add to my 350). I read about the deals people pay for their bikes on here and it's disappointing that dealers are ripping them off. Negotiating is a must. And I'm in SoCal where prices are horrible.

As far as power mods for the 350exc went, desmogged , EU map, fmf snap and 14/52 gearing. Once you were moving with rpms up, the bike made great power, but from idle it lacked. All this talk of different exhaust, tuners, big bore kits, piston changes etc is not what I was looking to do. That all adds up to a lot of money when in the end their is no replacement for displacement.

And for the record, I loved my 350exc and still think it was the best handling dual sport around.

The mods don't cost less than going to a 500. Maybe if you got ripped from the dealer than yes. I paid only a few hundred difference between my 350 and 500 and that's only cause I got a smoking deal on the 13' 350 exc (9.9k otd) in July of 2012. And when I bought my 14' 500exc in October of 2013, I only paid a few hundred more (which wasn't bad as it came with a fan which cost $150 to add to my 350). I read about the deals people pay for their bikes on here and it's disappointing that dealers are ripping them off. Negotiating is a must. And I'm in SoCal where prices are horrible.

As far as power mods for the 350exc went, desmogged , EU map, fmf snap and 14/52 gearing. Once you were moving with rpms up, the bike made great power, but from idle it lacked. All this talk of different exhaust, tuners, big bore kits, piston changes etc is not what I was looking to do. That all adds up to a lot of money when in the end their is no replacement for displacement.

And for the record, I loved my 350exc and still think it was the best handling dual sport around.

Well then you are in SoCal and I'm in NorCal two totally different types of riding. For me it's single track hills you desert and open. In your case a 500 is Deffiniatly the bike. I can see why you went 14 on the front sprocket where hear in NorCal a 14 will give you nothing. I do agree that the terrain you ride is a big factor in bike choice.

However if your ran you bike here in NorCal a simple 13 t on the front would have been fine.

How much of a loss did you take when your sold your 350? Or were you someone that sold the bike for then what you paid?

Motorcycles are depreciating assets no matter how you view it.

Well then you are in SoCal and I'm in NorCal two totally different types of riding. For me it's single track hills you desert and open. In your case a 500 is Deffiniatly the bike. I can see why you went 14 on the front sprocket where hear in NorCal a 14 will give you nothing. I do agree that the terrain you ride is a big factor in bike choice.

However if your ran you bike here in NorCal a simple 13 t on the front would have been fine.

How much of a loss did you take when your sold your 350? Or were you someone that sold the bike for then what you paid?

Motorcycles are depreciating assets no matter how you view it.

Here in SoCal we have all Types of riding and I only ride open desert a fraction of the time. I love it when people think it's all we got out here. You would be surprised on what kind of single track forest trails we have here. Los padres national forest and even San Bernardino national forest house excellent riding. Then you got the rock mountains of Johnson valley....that is a technical challenging nightmare to awesome area with in itself. My brother ran the 13th front sprocket in his bike (13' 350exc outfitted very similiar to mine) and he still craved the more grunt off idle. Guess what he rides now....

Your right, most vehicles absolutely deprecitate and I did take a loss on my bike when I sold it but not much of a loss. Losing a grand for over a year worth of riding that bike and giving it the beating I did not to mention the countless memories I made from all the trips I took was well worth it. I also improved my skills so much from riding that bike, so above all I had no regrets.

The 500 is so flexible you can gear it down and still go crazy fast. Mine is geared 13/52 so I can crawl along at walking speed and it's still pulling really hard at 85mph (I backed off at that point) . In a recent thread on here someone else mentioned they had the same gearing and were still accelerating at over 90mph, which I completely believe. So you can gear down without giving up much if anything on top. I don't think you'll ever get that much out of a 350 short of a works type motor. If you want big power, the 500 will deliver, no mods necessary.

• Like 3

+2, You need to get the 500, especially for a 200+lbs rider.  Save your money, and sell the 350. Find a good used 500.