Sign in to follow this  

What bike should I buy?

So I bought a yz250 as it was suggested to me by so many people on this site but I bought a dud. The bike had so many problems that after I spent $4,100 I spent $2,000 before it was ok to ride. So when I could finally ride it I found out there were lots of little things wrong with it aswell. The suspension was way too soft (bottomed out over ever little bump), The muffler had a bend in it, the chain and sprockets were on there way out and heaps of other things. So I decided to sell my bike and just forget about it. Now I'm on the hunt for a new bike. I absolutely love my mates rmz250 and I go way faster on it but I'm worried about the maintenance on modern four strokes as I have read about so many times on TT. Also at 115kg (250 pounds) and 194cm (6'4") people say I'm too big for the bike. I then thought about a 450 and I don't think I will be getting back on one of them anytime soon. 450s are serious fast machines. Also I will be getting my licence in 14 months and I want to be able to go riding in bush so I thought about an enduro bike but they are really not that great on the mx track. I will be riding 40% mx and 60% woods riding. So what should I get? Another 250 2 stroke? A 250 4 stroke which I'm faster on but more maintenance? An enduro bike? Please help I need a new bike in 2 weeks for a race I want to do!!!

You need to spend more time on examining the bike you intend to purchase , otherwise you will be back to where you are now .

Being in a rush to buy another bike is not the way to go .

Take someone with you who has experience .

• Like 2

Shit...KLX450 in a heart beat. Sure wish we could still get them here.

Do some research into the makes/models you are intending to buy before you go look at the bike. What kind of 2t did you buy for $4100? And how was the entire thing not brand new for another $2,000?

Read up on 2 strokes and 4 strokes and see what you feel will best suit the type of riding you want to do. This is my first season riding and I have already made the switch from a 250f to a 250stroker and will not look back.

I read a TON about 4 strokes and lurked on thumpertalk months before I made my first purchase. Even though I thought I was prepared there was still things I missed. I would strongly recommend you take someone with some experience.

Are you planning to work on the bike yourself? Do you have tools? What's your riding budget? Ask yourself questions like these to draw up an answer for yourself.

Learning to work on your bike will help you become a better rider and save a lot of money.

Do some research into the makes/models you are intending to buy before you go look at the bike. What kind of 2t did you buy for $4100? And how was the entire thing not brand new for another $2,000?

Read up on 2 strokes and 4 strokes and see what you feel will best suit the type of riding you want to do. This is my first season riding and I have already made the switch from a 250f to a 250stroker and will not look back.

I read a TON about 4 strokes and lurked on thumpertalk months before I made my first purchase. Even though I thought I was prepared there was still things I missed. I would strongly recommend you take someone with some experience.

Are you planning to work on the bike yourself? Do you have tools? What's your riding budget? Ask yourself questions like these to draw up an answer for yourself.

Learning to work on your bike will help you become a better rider and save a lot of money.

He's in Australia. A new YZ 250 here would be around 8K, could be more, could be less, but It'd be somewhere around that. It'd be at least a couple of grand more than you'd pay there   :lame: .

I'm assuming you're Intending to buy 2nd hand again but if you do end up looking at new bikes I'd very strongly recommend a Beta 300RR. Much better bike than the KTM 300's IMO. If you're in Vic there was a demo floating around somewhere  :thumbsup: .

A Lot, almost all of my mates are buying 2nd hand KTM 350's. Haven't ridden one myself but as you can most likely Imagine, been KTM riders, they rave on how good they are every chance they get :rolleyes: .

Edited by AddictedToBling

He's in Australia. A new YZ 250 here would be around 8K, could be more, could be less, but It'd be somewhere around that. It'd be at least a couple of grand more than you'd pay there   :lame: .

Well that explains it.

That sucks

I'm assuming you're Intending to buy 2nd hand again but if you do end up looking at new bikes I'd very strongly recommend a Beta 300RR. Much better bike than the KTM 300's IMO. If you're in Vic there was a demo floating around somewhere :thumbsup: .

A Lot, almost all of my mates are buying 2nd hand KTM 350's. Haven't ridden one myself but as you can most likely Imagine, been KTM riders, they rave on how good they are every chance they get :rolleyes: .

Yeh looking at at ktm 350sxf 2012 model for $5200 in Australia which is ridiculously cheap here. It comes with rec reg kit and it looks brand new. Also looking at a 2011 honda crf250r with rec reg and it's on a stock piston and rings and comes with the spares kit from the factory. Also has excel wheels and un breakable levers. I know people say I'm too big for a 250 4 stroke but I have rode my mates yzf and my other mates Rmz 250s and I feel fine on them. Might just need a suspension adjustment but for $4200 I have enough to spend $500 on suspension

Yeh looking at at ktm 350sxf 2012 model for $5200 in Australia which is ridiculously cheap here. It comes with rec reg kit and it looks brand new. Also looking at a 2011 honda crf250r with rec reg and it's on a stock piston and rings and comes with the spares kit from the factory. Also has excel wheels and un breakable levers. I know people say I'm too big for a 250 4 stroke but I have rode my mates yzf and my other mates Rmz 250s and I feel fine on them. Might just need a suspension adjustment but for $4200 I have enough to spend $500 on suspension

As good as the CRF sounds I'd 110% go for the KTM 350 every day of the week :ride:  .

As good as the CRF sounds I'd 110% go for the KTM 350 every day of the week :ride: .

But there is also a honda cr250 with rec reg. it clearly isn't in as good condition as the other 2 bikes and would need a couple of things but it's only $3500. If I buy the cr then I can spend $500 on suspension and have money left over if something else goes wrong with it

Personally, I'd still spend the extra $$ on the Kato. Assuming the condition of the bike is right.

Normally, trying to save $$ on a bike ends up costing you more $$ in the end. Ie, your YZ 250 ;) . Buy the newest model bike you can afford :thumbsup: .

Also, It's a good compromise. The 350cc is right in between the 450 and 250 so should be perfect for you :ride: .