Sign in to follow this  

230L runs pretty rich. re-jet or exhaust? (noob)

A previous owner put a slip on exhaust and rejetted the bike. owner after him thought it was too loud so he just put the exhaust back on and delt with it running rich. now that i have it ive done the smog delete but it still seems to run rich. maybe more rich than it was due to the needle shim? Should i try and rejet it close to stock or just go ahead and buy a Q4 or Powercore exhaust? There's also a two brothers m7 for around the same price as the fmf but anyway. I'm new to bikes so help me out here! Also are jets generally labeled? I'd like to see what it's jetted at. 

Also are jets generally labeled? I'd like to see what it's jetted at.

Yes, the type should be stamped/etched on the jet.  Sorry, I'm unable to answer your other questions.

Yes, the type should be stamped/etched on the jet.  Sorry, I'm unable to answer your other questions.

That helps me out a bit. I'd hate to tear into that carb and they not be stamped. Thanks mossman77

Then you need to install jets that are stamped so you will know where your at now versus what came with it stock.

Edited by adnohguy

I would first find out what main jet was in it, then go from there. I am running a 38 pilot, 2 turns out on fuel screw, 132 main, Extra one and one half inch hole in air box lid. I have 1 shim on the needle. Runs well with this setup. I would let more air in to the airbox before mesing the muffler. Hope this helps, Let us know what you come with.

Try Mikuni's Roll-Off method.  It is very fast and easy.

"Roll-off Method:
This method is a good way to get the main jet either correct or within one size of correct. It is based on the fact that that as the throttle is closed, the air/fuel mixture richens momentarily. This normal enrichening can be used as a diagnostic tool. The test is started with the engine running at an rpm high enough to ensure that it is “on the cam.” Open the throttle fully and let the engine pull for several seconds. Then, quickly close the throttle to about the 7/8ths position. If the engine seems to gain power, the main jet is too small (lean). Fiticon1.png a larger jet. If the engine hesitates as the throttle is rolled off, the main jet is too large. Fit a smaller one. When the main jet is correct,  the engine will continue to run smoothly and evenly as the throttle is closed. Note that a main jet that is far too rich or lean may cause the engine to misfire at full throttle."

• Like 1