Sign in to follow this  

YZ250F auto decompression cam help please

My dad has bought my old 2001 yz250f off me and we finally got the valves done after having to push start it for a few month. He doesn't like trying to kick it with the decompression lever and makes it hard to start if it stalls in tricky tracks. We are thinking of installing one of those auto decompression cams and we want to know some general information off people with experience doing this. Also if somebody can post a link of exactly the thing we need to buy that would be so helpful. Thanks in advance for anyone the helps.

Jordan

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/51313-forum-faq-read-before-you-post/

12) '03 YZ250F Exhaust Cam: 5UL-12180-00-00
03-09 cam will work on 01-02 bikes.
and speaking of cams:
The pin count between cams is basically meaningless, because all it tells you is that the two cams are in the right relationship to one another, when what's really important is how they sync up with the crank. Knowing the pin count is useful when reassembling the cam chain, though. You can set the exhaust first, then throw the chain over the intake, counting out pins as you do. This gives you a very good chance of getting the timing on the second cam right on the first attempt (something that often frustrates new guys). But you still have to double check by using the "real" timing marks at TDC.

13) the link to the online '03 YZ250F and '03 WR250F PDF manuals is here!
some background info on them.

I have a 2001 WR250f that I installed a 2006 YZ250F auto decompression cam on. I bought the cam off Ebay for $60. It was pretty easy and made starting the bike a lot nicer. One web site that can help with information is www.thumperfaq.com under "Not Free Upgrades" when you scroll down, also a factory Yamaha service manual is a great tool to have. I'm no certified mechanic. I used the book and Thumper Talk to get the job. Just do a search for it cause there are a lot a very knowledgeable fellow dirt bikers on here. Good Luck.

I did this as my first time inside a 4t and it went pretty smooth. Took me a few times to get the timing right seemed I was off a tooth each time but well worth it once done. Then I wrecked the bike the following weekend and broke my shoulder, bought a pretty much brand new 08 two weeks later and my 02 sits in the garage with all sorts and brand new parts lol.