Sign in to follow this  

What year is this frame?

I have just bought an unfinished project 450R for a really good price. Trying to figure out what year it is as part of the VIN has been rubbed off by the throttle cables and then powder coated over.

The 10th digit which gives the year of manufacture I can only make out the top of it and I think it is a 2 (02 model) or possibly a 3 (03 model).

Can anyone identify by the shape of the frame what year it is? I included a pic of the motor if that helps.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400578969.167792.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400578884.619962.jpg

I believe the engine VIN will tell you something as well. The motor has the 02-03 left side case cover

Its an 02. There is a mount for the pipe to bolt directly to the frame in 02 above the master cylinder mounts, that the 03-04 doesnt have. 03-04 mounted the pipe to the subframe.

I believe the engine VIN will tell you something as well. The motor has the 02-03 left side case cover

Read my post, I know how to decifer a VIN. The tenth digit gives you the year but it is half rubbed out.

Its an 02. There is a mount for the pipe to bolt directly to the frame in 02 above the master cylinder mounts, that the 03-04 doesnt have. 03-04 mounted the pipe to the subframe.

Thanks for the info, now I can order parts knowing they will be right.

Read my post, I know how to decifer a VIN. The tenth digit gives you the year but it is half rubbed out.

READ MY POST, I SAID THE "ENGINE VIN" :rolleyes:

The 02 had no pipe mount on the frame that I have seen. The true difference between the 02 & 03 frames is the 03 moved the swingarm pivot 7mm higher. Perhaps you could verify by finding a known 02 or 03 and measure between the subframe mount and the swingarm pivot bolt mount and compare to yours.