Sign in to follow this  

Cycra skid plate

Amazon has Cycra skid plates (more like a glide plate) for about $39.  A couple of points to make note of before you buy:

1. It looks like it will provide adequate protection for the frame rails and the case between the rails, but no protection for the water pump area or anything outside the frame.

2. Easy to install

3. It is NOT possible to drill a hole to access the drain plug, as the rivets holding the rear mounting bracket are in the way.  Changing the trans oil will require cutting at least 4 (maybe all 6) of the zip ties holding on the bracket.

4. I don't expect any durability issues with my riding conditions (logs and occasional rocks to slide over), but I will report if there are.  You guys that ride in serious rock country need to look for a plate with more coverage anyway.

I really would like a plastic plate that offers full coverage for my yz 125 (06).  Does anybody make such an item?  I've only seen aluminum and CF models.

Amazon has Cycra skid plates (more like a glide plate) for about $39.  A couple of points to make note of before you buy:

1. It looks like it will provide adequate protection for the frame rails and the case between the rails, but no protection for the water pump area or anything outside the frame.

2. Easy to install

3. It is NOT possible to drill a hole to access the drain plug, as the rivets holding the rear mounting bracket are in the way.  Changing the trans oil will require cutting at least 4 (maybe all 6) of the zip ties holding on the bracket.

4. I don't expect any durability issues with my riding conditions (logs and occasional rocks to slide over), but I will report if there are.  You guys that ride in serious rock country need to look for a plate with more coverage anyway.

I really would like a plastic plate that offers full coverage for my yz 125 (06).  Does anybody make such an item?  I've only seen aluminum and CF models.

TM Designs and Hyde Racing both do.

I modified my cycra one to work with a drilled hole for drain plug. I removed the back bracket and zip tied it on as well. But yeah, it is a bad design as you theoretically need to remove the plate every time you change the oil. I had one on my ktm and liked it, but it drains on the side. Didn't think about it when I bought one for my YZ.

I modified my cycra one to work with a drilled hole for drain plug. I removed the back bracket and zip tied it on as well. But yeah, it is a bad design as you theoretically need to remove the plate every time you change the oil. I had one on my ktm and liked it, but it drains on the side. Didn't think about it when I bought one for my YZ.

I'm hoping that I can just cut the zip ties in the rear and kind of bend the plate down to access the plug. I really don't need the full plate for the type of riding I do, so I'm hoping that this will work out. A report will be forthcoming...

Well, I've had the cycra skid plate on long enough now to offer a use review. It seems to be holding up just fine with numerous log crossings, but my riding area does not have much in the way of rocks to slide over. You would really would want a full coverage plate if you were doing that anyway.

To change the oil I have to cut 4 of the 6 zip ties and pop the plate off the rear mount. It is much easier to reinstall however because the front two ties can stay on. You can buy the ties at Lowes for about $6 for a pack of 15.

Make sure you reroute you power valve drain line or the plate will fill with a gooey mess of spooge and dirt.

If you need a light coverage plate for occasional log crossings and such, this protects the frame, oil drain, and center cases. It works well for $40. For major rock duty, get a full coverage plate.

Edited by rpt50